PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question: Toolrests

Bob Winkler
01-25-2005, 7:46 AM
So I'm setting up a Jet Mini so that my daughter and I can begin turning. As usual, I buy a couple of books to try to catch up on all that I don't know.

In the first book I read, mention is made of replacing the cast iron toolrest with a custom mild steel rest (which of course the author sells). He says that cast iron toolrests are dangerous because they break, and he will never use another one.

Is this true and should I be looking at a tool rest purchase right away? What do you guys use out there?

Thanks,
Bob

John Miliunas
01-25-2005, 7:58 AM
Bob, this is just a "shot from the hip", so take it with a grain of salt. I concur that the cast iron tool rest "could" be more dangerous, but there are a number of factors to consider. First, there's a good chance it could be a defective part to begin with. Secondly, it would typically have to be one heckuva' "catch" for that to happen. Then, there's the type of lathe you're using. On the Mini, I doubt very much that you'll be chucking up huge blanks. For small bowls, spindles or pens, you're less likely to have such damage-causing catches. I have a midi-sized lathe and have chucked up some pretty good sized blanks and yes, I have had some significant catches and the stock tool rest held just fine.:)

There is, however, another consideration you may look at in favor of an aftermarket rest. First, most are round, promoting slightly smoother action. Secondly, the mild steel rest is softer than the HSS tools you'll probably be using so that, in the event of a catch, you're less likely to ding up the shaft on the tool.:)

There you have the ramblings of a limited experience turner and one who wishes he had more time to get back to doing more spinny stuff!:( :) :cool:

Jeff Sudmeier
01-25-2005, 8:16 AM
I would agree with John... There is probably such a little chance that you could get a catch big enough on a mini lathe to break your tool rest that I would not worry about it. If you do get a catch that big, you may want your tool rest to break, otherwise it may be your arm that does!

Jim Sample
01-25-2005, 9:38 AM
Bob
Last weekend I was turning on the 1014 Jet mini VS that I picked up before Christmas. It happened, the tool rest post broke just below the cast tool rest. It was not a bad catch either. I found a grade 5 steel 5/8 bolt and cut a 6" piece of 11/4" angle iron that was fairly heavy, I welded these together and made a tool rest. 5/8 steel rod would have been better as the threads on the bolt are in the area where the screw tightenes down.

I called Jet yesterday, I have a new factory tool rest coming under warrenty. I plan to up grade to a round steel tool rest.

Jim Sample

Jim Becker
01-25-2005, 9:50 AM
Even if you prefer to use a round steel rest most of the time, the factory cast iron rest will always have a place...when you need to get close to your turning for detail work, etc. Personally, I don't think that cast iron rests are dangerous. They don't cause accidents...the turner does. And when you think about it, if you have a HUGE catch, which would you prefer...the rest breaking or the tool handle hitting you in the chin? ;)

Steve Knowlton
01-25-2005, 9:55 AM
Bob, I Have Mini Lathe Also. I Broke The Factory Toolrest Within A Week. I Went To The Local Hardware Store And Got Round Stock To Weld Up A New Rest. I Have Not Had A Problem In 2 Years After That.

Rick Prevett
01-25-2005, 11:57 AM
Like Jim and Steve, I've broken the factory tool rest on my 1014. Wasn't a big catch, but I was out towards the end of the rest. The factory tool rest for this lathe has not had a good history. Jet will replace the part for you within warranty, but I would suggest you purchase (or build) a new tool rest and keep the Jet one for a back up, or as was suggested, use it for up close detail areas.

rick

Ken Salisbury
01-25-2005, 12:10 PM
This sounds like a "cry wolf" scenerio. I have 2 Jet mini's which have turned out more stuff than I care to even think about. The 2 have produced more than 2000 pens, other small items, countless bowls and other larger items. Both still have the original tool rests. Don't worry about it

Richard Allen
01-25-2005, 12:25 PM
A spare tool rest seams like a good idea. But to be honest there are a LOT of good ideas. A spare tool rest would not be very high on my list of things a new woodturner should have.

Lathe (you have that coming)

Turning tools like spindle gouges, roughing gouges, parting tools...

A sharpening system (most likely a grinder and jig)

Safety equipment (Faceshield, disposable gloves, dust protection, dust collection)

Finishing supplies (sandpaper, I know you have sandpaper but you are going to need more and in finer grits, woodturning finishes)

Hands on training (this will jump start the process and provide good insight into turning safely.)

Good Luck

Bob Winkler
01-25-2005, 3:03 PM
Wow, looks like quite a wide range of experiences. Thanks to all for your insights.

I think I'll ask my machine shop friends (luckily I work with a bunch of them) to build me a steel rest, even if only for backup. As for the other items on the priority list, I think I have a good start:

- lathe arrived and in my shop. Time to get the grease off
- faceshield and smock on order with Lee Valley (smock is for my daughter)
- already own a Delta low speed grinder that will be placed next to the lathe
- will hopefully get the Crown beginners set of tools at Woodcraft when they go on sale this weekend
- 2 books on their way from Amazon
- daughter and I will look into a beginners class. Could be a good bonding opportunity.

I'm sure there is more I need- I'm trying not to rush and enjoy the process.

Bob:o

Michael Barry
01-25-2005, 11:28 PM
Hey Bob,
How old is your daughter? My 9 year old and I took a pen turning class together at Woodcraft and she loved it. The guys at woodcraft didn't charge me to bring her. She turns out some pretty nice stuff. We use a Jet 1236 and I had to build a platform for her to stand on because the shavings were coming off right in her face, kinda ruining the experience.
I would suggest starting with pens just to get the feel of turning. Smaller pieces of wood, on a mandrel, which will be safer. Sorry but it also means more stuff to buy.

Bob Winkler
01-26-2005, 9:42 AM
Thanks for the comments Barry. My situation is different, however, since my daughter is 22! Go figure- all my life I've tried with no luck to get either of my girls interested in one of my hobbies. Now that she's grown and almost out of the house she wants to learn to turn. I guess it appeals to her creative side.
Heck, I'm just grateful that she wants to hang with her old man.

Bob:)

Bill Grumbine
01-26-2005, 9:49 AM
Hi Bob

I am coming in a bit late to this, but I thought I would offer my thoughts and experiences. First of all, there is a club - a VERY LARGE club - of people, and of which I am a member, called the Club of Those Who Have Snapped off Tool Rests. Quite a few people do it, and reflecting back on who and when and how, I think it has more to do with inexperience than it does with the inherent inferiority of cast iron for a tool rest. I managed to break the cast iron tool rest off my first AND my second lathes, and it had to do more with improper tool control and presentation.

Cast iron rests do have a problem though, and that is they are soft, very soft, especially compared to the high speed steel tools we drag across them. The edge of the rest will quickly become dented and dinged, and will require regular maintenance with a file or some fine grit sandpaper. This is not a defect which should cause you to rush right out and buy a steel rest, but it is something to consider. Just about every steel rest I own or have owned is subject to the same requirements, it just takes longer for the problem to manifest itself.

I have taught many people to turn over the years, and often we are using lathes with the manufacturer supplied cast iron rest. They work fine as long as they are maintained properly, and as long as the turner is adequately supervised with regard to proper cutting techniques. If you are starting out with small spindle projects like pens and such, there is little chance you will snap the rest off.

Steel rests have their own set of problems- errr, characteristics, of which you should be aware when purchasing one. One popular design, the angle rest, is dangerous if the tool is swept off the end of the rest when fingers are on the underside. Depending on the speed and force of the wood, fingers can be pinched and even broken. Round bar rests address this problem, but move the point of contact further away from the wood, and often require that the tool hand further out over the rest, increasing the leverage caused by the wood surface contacting the tool edge. There are some angled steel rests made in the same design as the cast ones, but they are usually few and far between.

I would say stick with your cast iron rest for now until you get some time behind you on the lathe. Of course, if you join the above mentioned club, you will need a replacement as soon as possible, but if not, you have some time. As an aside, my youngest daughter is taking up turning today. She actually turned a bowl most of the way done a few years ago, but lost interest. Lately she has been bugging me to turn a pen, so last night we glued up some blanks and today when school is done for the day, shop class will commence. She will be using my mini lathe with the old beat up cast iron rest.

Good luck with it, and have fun.

Bill