PDA

View Full Version : No confession here... making tools for woodworking IS fun

Cyrus Brewster 7
03-15-2011, 8:56 PM
Andrew Joiner started a thread yesterday about his joy of coming up with ideas and jigs to make his woodworking experience easier; and about how this is sometimes more enjoyable than the woodworking itself. Well... I enjoy both. I find the actual work, as Johnny Means put it, "soothing". I lose time doing it.

Anyway, over the weekend I was thinking about starting a thread on nearly the same subject - I actually mentioned this to my old man. When I read the title I started to laugh. What I was thinking about, though, was more on the subject of fabricating one's own "tools" to help with the task at hand - whether it be jigs or tool upgrades. I am a newbie to woodworking but have been working with my hands for most of my life. And since I am also new to the creek, I felt like writing this so as not to hijack Andrew's thread.

Along with some of my jigs pictured below, I have also built my own router table to the specs that work for me. (As an aside, the PRL with the Sidewinder attachment is absolutely awesome. I would find it hard to, but could, live without it. Being able to "up" plunge into the work with absolute precision has facilitated the production of some of the jigs).

As some of you will no doubt observe, a few of the photos resemble some commercially available jigs - sometimes companies get it right. I also love the things Bill Huber and other on here have come up with - especially Bill's DC for his router lift. With this being said, I do not try to reinvent the wheel. I will look at and borrow what others have done and will maybe improve upon it or tweek it to my liking - as I am sure they have done too. Is this not how things improve with time? Sometimes you realize that what you are looking at is perfect with no improvement needed - commercial or homegrown. My father told me once that there are very few REAL original ideas in the world - most of what we call original thought is really many learned things put together.

My point is that there is always ways to use what we have seen or studied to help in what we do. Anyway, to stop this from sounding like a philosophy class, here are the pics:

Taper jig that rides on the fence

Coping sled

Incra Miter 1000SE in sled

Using the same Rockler multi-track for both a low and high fence - helpful for storage and $.
I use the low position most of the time

The first picture is the vise (minus wood) I made for my father. It took parts from two specialty deep sea fiber optic cable vises to make it. The second picture is it partially completed.
It is one of a kind so far...

This is the pile of parts that I will use to make a vise for myself.

I really do find this fun!

james glenn
03-16-2011, 8:07 AM
Nice work with the jigs. I am just setting up shop and might have to borrow a few ideas here.

I see you have the router built into the table saw, a Ridgid 3650?
Do you have any pics you could share of this? I have the same saw and have been sketching
ideas for one and any help/ideas would be great.

Jim

Andrew Pitonyak
03-16-2011, 11:00 AM
I see you have the router built into the table saw, a Ridgid 3650?
Do you have any pics you could share of this? I have the same saw and have been sketching
ideas for one and any help/ideas would be great.

I have this saw and I build a router table into the saw (as it were). There are a few pictures here:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?160611-best-homemade-router-tablesaw-extension&p=1647477&highlight=#post1647477

Note that I asked a few questions here as well:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?157936-Must-I-laminate-both-sides-of-everything-to-avoid-warping&p=1617150&highlight=#post1617150

I am in the process of building a fence that I can connect to my table saw fence. I will have dust collection by sucking air through the fence so that I can attach a hose on the edge rather than in the middle.

I found that I have significant dust under the saw, so I will build a cabinet of sorts around the router and attach dust collection to that as well. One person with whom I spoke locally indicated that they did this and used a shop vac for dust collection and nothing on the fence. I intend to have both when I find time to finish.

I purchased a Jess-em router lift, and it works great. I installed a paddle switch on the edge so that I can simply bump it to turn off the router.

If you desire more photos or similar, let me know. If you are local to me, I can even provide you with some laminate and you can borrow my router plate template :-)