PDA

View Full Version : Wood gloat

Bill Brush
03-15-2011, 8:02 PM
In the time honored SMC tradition I'm posting a wood gloat, if only a little one. I found a local guy through Craigslist who logs mature trees around Nebraska and has them milled. He has too much to ever use so he's selling off his excess for tool money.

Anyway I bought just about 40 bd/ft of 40 year old air dried walnut for a mere $100. I literally could have filled my pickup 2-3 times over with what he had ready to use. Too bad I can just use my mortgage payment on wood.

The nice thing is that the 4 big pieces are all milled from the same tree on successive cuts, so they match perfectly. I couldn't believe he was guesstimating the footage and "about $3.50/bd ft" but I wasn't going to complain when a single one of those big boards would go for about $80 at the wood store.

Andrew Gibson
03-15-2011, 8:27 PM
Great find!
You Suck!
I wish I could find decent walnut down here in FL. I have wanted to build some furniture from walnut for quite some time but I have not found anything worth $1-BF.

bruce buren
03-15-2011, 8:30 PM
Bill,
Would you mind sharing his info? I would love to get my hands on some good lumber

Bruce

Pat Barry
03-15-2011, 8:38 PM
Wait just a darn minute - its a little early for April fools. You are saying there are trees in Nebraska? Not what I remember.......... Congrats

Bill Brush
03-15-2011, 9:29 PM
Sent you a PM Bruce. I wish I had more money to buy stuff right now, but unless you're a commercial buyer I expect there will still be plenty left. He's got some walnut and oak that needs about another year or two to finish drying and it's going to be gorgeous.

Paul Johnstone
03-16-2011, 1:24 PM
Nice looking walnut you got there..

David Hostetler
03-16-2011, 2:21 PM
Nice. That's about what our local sawyers / hardwood dealers are getting for 4/4 walnut under 10" wide. (The price skyrockets over 10"). Rockler and Woodcraft are an entirely different beast...

My next wood acquisition is to head into Houston to grab about 100 bd/ft of walnut. I need to figure out where to get affordable maple here... Now THAT stuff is expensive! Guess it's all in where you live...

Wanna trade some affordable walnut for some affordable maple?