PDA

View Full Version : new to turning, help?

Dustin Sims
03-15-2011, 3:58 PM
I'm a wood design student at ECU and pretty new to turning, just done some in the shop at school but really enjoy it and would like to try some at home. I stumbled on this one on craigslist about an hour and a half from where I live and was considering purchasing it. I've learned tons from the people on here on others threads and thought y'all could help me on this, is this worth $230? maybe talked down to $200?

Craftsman 12" woodworking lathe, wheeled table and accessories. This is an assembled, working wood lathe, with the original operating instructions. Included are extra faceplates, a drill chuck, cutting tools and more. You can see all these items in the photos. All for $230.00

Keith E Byrd
03-15-2011, 4:23 PM
Dustin,
Welcome to the Creek! I think you will find the folks on here extremeely friendly, helpful and encouraging. I am a fairly new turner ( few months) but I had one of the lathes you are talking about for several years and just did a few odds and ends on it. A few months ago I got really interested and began doing a lot more. The lathe worked fine, a little light and I got quite a bit of vibration. When I tried to turn a large blank for a bowl - the bearings in the headstock wallowed out and it cost $200 just for the replacement parts. It wasn't worth that to fix. I think what you have is perhaps worth $200 but be careful with it. It probably isn't worth spending much to fix it - fact that you have the tools and faceplates makes it a better deal.

Jon Prouty
03-15-2011, 4:56 PM
Hi Dustin,

As a student, I know fundage must be spent in best way... I would steer away from this CL deal... even for $100.

If you live anywhere near a Harbor Freight, for about the same money you could pick this one up and be much happier. Right now it is on sale for $250 and with a 20% off coupon (google Harbor Freight coupon) and you can get it for $200. http://www.harborfreight.com/12-inch-x-33-3-8-eighth-inch-wood-lathe-with-reversible-head-34706.html

The tools in the pic look to be similar to the HF $20 set (not very good). This is a good set (there are others - check PSI as well):
http://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece-high-speed-steel-wood-lathe-chisel-set-47066.html

I wish you luck in whatever you decide... just want to be sure you don't end up getting a bum deal.

(mods - please delete direct links if they are not appropriate)

Jon

Dustin Sims
03-15-2011, 5:08 PM
Thanks for the help! there is a Harbor Freight here in town, I'll go there tomorrow and check them out. Thanks again! hopefully soon I'll be posting pictures of my completed projects

Steve Vaughan
03-15-2011, 5:09 PM
Agree with Jon...not worth it...even for $100. Probably cost 200 bucks new way back whenever and this feller has it a bit way overpriced. I had one that I turned small stuff on for a number of years. Loved turning, but didn't do much because of all the issues. I wore a set of bearings out and put new ones in - not nearly as costly as Keith's situation, but I went shopping around and was able to save quite a bit. Having said that, I don't know which was worse, the bearing issue and how easy they go, or how that thing shook when even the slightest out of balance small piece was on it. Not to mention the TREMENDOUS difficulty at keeping the centers lined up (design issue there).

Jon's idea is good or you might even consider hanging on to the money and when you can, add a bit to it and get something you'll definitely be satisfied with the first go-round. You also might check around to see if there's a school nearby with a shop - I heard at one time of some that allow you to rent time on the equipment. And, you might check around for a local turning club who could assist you in finding something, or even let you work on their stuff. Good luck with it...lots of us have been where you are.

Don Alexander
03-15-2011, 10:37 PM
Dustin;

if ECU is East Carolina University i think i can beat this deal for you by a good margin better lathe and at least as good on the extras very little more money and some face to face hands on type instruction in its function and use

shoot me a PM and we can see if what i have will be suitable for you