PDA

View Full Version : Bow saw

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
02-16-2003, 2:24 PM
I will try again to post a picture of a bow saw which hangs on my shop wall and gets occasional use. I have made over thirty of these, at least twenty of whch were for Nancy Webster who makes and teaches the making of treenware. She has stuff in the Smithsonian. I have also sold a few of these to people who wanted to hang them on their walls for decoration.%^)

If this works, thanks to Ken and others. Well, thanks even if it doesn't work.(-:

Ruby in NC
02-16-2003, 2:36 PM
Thanks for posting!

Wish I had one. It would do dual duty. Shop decoration ONLY when it isn't in use. ;)

Again, thanks for having in there with the posting. It is worth the effort.

Regards,
Ruby

Jennifer@Indy.USA
02-16-2003, 2:39 PM
Well worth the wait to see it! It looks beautiful. I've never used a bowsaw except for a trial cut, and to expreiment with it. They facinate me. I can appreciate anybody who can cut a nice tennon with one. I saw a guy cut a beautiful tennon in matter of minutes once and have been intrigued ever since. We have an old weather beaten, very large one up at our lake house that was my Grandfathers....it just hangs on the wall too.

Thanks for posting the picture!

Jen

Dave Anderson NH
02-16-2003, 4:28 PM
I've made half a dozen of them in the style used by Mack Headley at the Hay cabinet shop at Colonial Williamsburg. In fact here's a picture of one.

Dave Anderson NH
02-16-2003, 4:33 PM
This is one of the 18th century reproduction bowsaws like they use at Colonial Williamsburg

Dave Anderson NH
02-16-2003, 4:43 PM
This shows the size with the 0ne foot ruler delineating the length of the blade. The blades are available in sets of 3, one each 8,12, and 16 teeth per inch from Garrett Wade for about $23.

Bob Lasley
02-16-2003, 7:27 PM
Your saws look more like works of art than tools. I have my dad's old bow saw, which he always called a buck saw. I would guess that the name comes from being used to cut firewood at the sawbuck. This saw is a monster compared to yours. Would not even think of trying to use it for woodworking.

Kudos to both of you,
Bob

Howard Barlow
02-16-2003, 9:52 PM
Don, where do you get the handle hardware?

Bill Murphy
02-16-2003, 10:39 PM
Don,

Can you point me towards plans and hardware for the bow saw?

02-16-2003, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Howard Barlow
Don, where do you get the handle hardware?

I make it up from lag bolts and copper pipe. Not really difficult and you can make it to suit yourself.

Keith Outten
02-16-2003, 10:53 PM
Don and Dave

I noticed that Dave's saw had a round piece at the end of the main beam, I assume it provides a pivot point. Don's saw was more traditional in that it is like the ones I have seen. Is the pivot just another old style or a modern touch.

I have an antique blade that I salvaged from an old barn, I believe it came off of an old bow type saw and I am interested in making a new frame for the blade and hang up for decoration.

I also have traced the blade design, it has a very radical tooth design, I hope to be able to laser cut wooden blades for miniature bow saws to engrave and give as gifts.

Any history you can share would be appreciated.

02-16-2003, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Bill Murphy
Don,

Can you point me towards plans and hardware for the bow saw?

There have been a number of articles in different magazines over the years. I can't remember where this design came from. Bow saws are not complicated. I think if you will study the picture a little you can probably sketch out a workable design and give it a try. Doesn't take much material nor does it take long to build one.

Dave Anderson NH
02-17-2003, 7:47 AM
I made are not a new wrinkle, but rather an example of one of the 18th century styles in use by English and American Colonial woodworkers. Inside the joint is a standard mortise and tenon. The ball is to allow a slight bit of movement so that the arms are able to spread slightly to help tension the blade. This saw is a scaled up version of the 6" fret or coping type saw used in the Hay cabinet shop at Colonial Williamsburg. I adapted it for a 12" blade to add versatility in its uses. Mack Headley, the master cabinetmaker in the Hay shop, was kind enough to disassemble his saw and let me photograph it a couple of years ago. I liked the design of it as a classic tool and copied it. Here's a picture of the unfinished saw before it is assembled.

Howard Rosenberg
02-17-2003, 2:21 PM
It's always nice to see something with practical value where ALL senses are included.

Howard Barlow
02-17-2003, 8:16 PM
Don, thanks for the info.

Dave, thanks for the break-down.

You guys do great work. Just don't scratch those saws while using them.:p

W.C. Turner
02-18-2003, 1:46 AM
The larger ones, with the wider blades are used to cut firewood, and rougher work.

W.C.