PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas on this jointer?

keith micinski
03-15-2011, 12:56 PM
I found this on the local craigslist and was just wondering about it. The pictures make it look like it is actually pretty flimsy.Especially the tables. It just doesn't look like the other photos of older iron that I have seen on this forum.
http://southbend.craigslist.org/tls/2258731623.html

Jeff Duncan
03-16-2011, 9:54 PM
OK I'll bite....from a quick view it's certainly an old piece of Arn. Obviously a leather belt drive with babbit bearings. Can't tell if there's already a pulley to run off a normal motor or not....but I'd guess not? Unless you have a lineshaft you'll want to set it up for a motor. If the bearings are still good your OK, if not your going to be putting some more work into it. Looks like it's probably a 2 knife clamshell head, the general opinion on these is to replace them....again more work. That's about all I can tell from the pic....certainly a project machine.
Now if you want advice from someone who knows what they're talking about head over to OWWM and those guys can tell you something;>)

good luck,
JeffD

keith micinski
03-16-2011, 10:00 PM
I would like to rehab one of these old machines but every time I find one I started adding up everything that needs replaced and I start to lose my interest and just want to pick the grizzly catalog up.

Charles McKinley
03-17-2011, 2:40 AM
As other have suggested go to OWWM. It think it would be worth a look. If you can find someone that knows babet bearings to go with you. If they are good as long as you keep them oiled they will probably out last you unless you are planning to run a production shop. If you go with an appropriate US made motor you will drop $300 to $800. A rebuild on mine was close to $300 this summer. It is no way near as heavy as my 16" Cresent. Unless you never plan on moving it not necessarily a bad thing. Moving !200+ puonds by yourself can be a challenge.

Happy hunting, and remember Take lots of pics during the restoration!

Brian Weick
03-17-2011, 2:55 AM
That jointer is not in the motherships archives , I am a member of OWWM and I went through all the jointers... in the 1000's . I will tell you this.... who ever produced that jointer, didn't last long i would bet. I am all for OWWM... but that puppy I would stay away from... your going to hear this giant sucking sound,and it's going to be coming from your wallet...:rolleyes:

Babbitts are ok... but personally I don't care for them... but that's me... they are messy..
but that frame & table appears to be weak and lacking some meat to it...

You do what you want.... but from someone that has a strong Passion for OWWM...but common sense as well... I would pass on that....:)

there will always be something else coming up for sale.. you just have to be pacient...

B,

Gregory King
03-18-2011, 9:44 AM
Keith, from the top it looks very similar to the one in my workplace. It too came with the 4" wide flat belt system c/w babbit bearings. The bearing system still exists as long as you keep it all oiled, works fine. We did replace the flat belt with a new 3v-belt. Really smooth now. Just make sure that you measure both pulleys correctly. Our first go at it and we had way too many RPM's. The company name on it is Cowan and Company of Galt Ltd. Canada. I believe they only built a select few of these. In the long run, I would suggest leaning toward a modern version with a good bearing system. The babbit system tends to raise a few eyebrows.

keith micinski
03-18-2011, 10:31 AM
Ya I think I'll hold out for a more well known machine. It would make the rebuild process much easier and probably cheaper in the long run.

David Hostetler
03-18-2011, 10:48 AM
While I love old iron myself, primarily due to the massive construction they used to do, big thick well machined castings and such. This jointer does not seem to have those attributes, I would personally steer clear of it, but I must admit, a 12" jointer for $375.00 is REALLY tempting...

Gregory King
03-18-2011, 1:35 PM
For the simple reason that ours is a 12" is probably the main sticking point in not replacing until the babbits show real signs of wear. Our preference is to update to a General 12" but one can only get an 8" or 16" . Boy, I think they are losing sales because of this idea. My opinion only, I guess

Mike Schuch
03-18-2011, 3:47 PM
I have read so many posts about safety issues with the old jointer heads and shrapnel flying when a knife lets loose on OWWM and the cost of making a custom "modern" safe head I have been scared away for these old jointers.

I too love old wood working machines and own several but...

Chip Lindley
03-18-2011, 9:02 PM
I found this on the local craigslist and was just wondering about it. The pictures make it look like it is actually pretty flimsy.Especially the tables. It just doesn't look like the other photos of older iron that I have seen on this forum.
http://southbend.craigslist.org/tls/2258731623.html

Flimsy? No Way! That is all solid cast iron there! You and a couple of friends will need to eat your Wheaties to move that baby! (in pieces) It's not the prettiest 12" jointer, but you could almost land a Cessna on it! (84"-long bed) The guys over at OWWM will know about it if anyone will. The price is certainly right! A guy could get half his money back selling that Porter blade guard.

keith micinski
03-18-2011, 10:25 PM
Well, relative to other 12 inch jointers that are out there.

Brian Weick
03-19-2011, 3:09 PM
Well Chip,

I should say that it looks odd, I agree - flimsy is not a good choice of words. It does not look like anything I have seen before (OWWM) As I said earlier I went through every manufacturer and every jointer and there is nothing remotely on the mother-ship that even comes close. I think it is a foreign make/model... just guessing.. but rather odd design. I think we meant to say it was lacking in robust CI. Pictures are hard to decipher,,, you really have to physically see it to get a better idea in the construction and design. Fay & Egan has a similar table top appearence, but after that ,, it's not even close.....

IMO- I would pass on that jointer... if that was an Oliver... or American Woodwoking machinery Jointer....we would not be having this discusion because it would be sitting in my shop..hopefully-.LOL :)

B,

John Toigo
03-19-2011, 6:07 PM
Doesn;t look much like any other jointer I can name right off. I have a lot of old arn. Part of me thinks that that's a very old jointer - like late 1800's when there was more variation in the design. If you look at the old Carey jointers there are some similarities. On the other hand, I think there may have been a substantial amount of 'aftermarket' modification. I wonder if that wood frame was originally hung from the ceiling? Hard to tell from the pic but it looks like pillow blocks on the shaft under the jointer and that would argue against being that old. Hafta say - that one's a bit of a conundrum. I'd guess the weigh at around 1200 pounds. Interesting - thanks for posting.