PDA

View Full Version : Not a rose by any name…

David DeCristoforo
03-15-2011, 12:48 PM
No long stories here. Just a small "leftover" piece of maple burl. This is one of the things I like most about turning. For the "better part" of my life, I have been involved in huge projects requiring hundreds or even thousands of feet of lumber and stacks of sheet goods. Projects lasting months or years in which a small piece of wood like this would be tossed aside as "unusable". But now, that little piece with the wild figure can become, in a few hours, something unto itself, an object that might bring beauty into someone's life.

It's a whole new concept for me. When I first began to work at the lathe, I struggled a bit with the smallness of the pieces I was making. Compared to my paneled libraries and "over the top" kitchens and family room "entertainment centers", they seemed inconsequential. But now they become, for a few hours, the focus of all my attention as I try to create a unique shape or a tiny, crisp detail. For a brief moment my whole being is concentrated on this small, unique bit of wood and I get the funniest feeling that I am responsible for making sure that it is not lost, that it becomes something worthy of the forces of nature needed to create it. My success or failure in this, I leave to others to decide. For the moment, being still a "padawan learner", I am happy to have not totally screwed it up!

Michael James
03-15-2011, 12:55 PM
Very beautiful. It appears that you did some "burst" dyeing fading from dark to light. Thanks for posting

bob svoboda
03-15-2011, 12:56 PM
Very nicely said, David. It expresses something I am not able to express. As for the goblet, just beautiful. I love the ogee shape of the cup, and the way the top of the pedestal seems to reflect itself in the dark pool of the bottom is outstanding. Well done indeed!

Roger Chandler
03-15-2011, 1:33 PM
Very unique piece............the form on the body is just real nice, and I like the coloration also............nice pedestal.........the long stem seems to be in vogue at the present.........pretty figure in that burl as well. Nicely turned piece David, thanks for sharing it with us!

John Keeton
03-15-2011, 1:38 PM
"Not a rose by any name…" David, others might disagree with you on that! As always, you have done a beautiful job on the stem, and I like the detailing on it. The coloration of the little burl cup is icing on the cake!

Very nice piece - and, you are far, far from a "padawan learner!" I just want to remind you that I predicted this level of accomplished turning from you when you defected to the round side!;)

What did you use for the stem?

Dick Wilson
03-15-2011, 1:54 PM
No long stories here. Just a small "leftover" piece of maple burl. This is one of the things I like most about turning. For the "better part" of my life, I have been involved in huge projects requiring hundreds or even thousands of feet of lumber and stacks of sheet goods. Projects lasting months or years in which a small piece of wood like this would be tossed aside as "unusable". But now, that little piece with the wild figure can become, in a few hours, something unto itself, an object that might bring beauty into someone's life.

It's a whole new concept for me. When I first began to work at the lathe, I struggled a bit with the smallness of the pieces I was making. Compared to my paneled libraries and "over the top" kitchens and family room "entertainment centers", they seemed inconsequential. But now they become, for a few hours, the focus of all my attention as I try to create a unique shape or a tiny, crisp detail. For a brief moment my whole being is concentrated on this small, unique bit of wood and I get the funniest feeling that I am responsible for making sure that it is not lost, that it becomes something worthy of the forces of nature needed to create it. My success or failure in this, I leave to others to decide. For the moment, being still a "padawan learner", I am happy to have not totally screwed it up!

David, Totally not screwed it up:confused::confused::confused: I don't know how big it is but that is irrelevant. This is a marvelous piece. It is very delicate with very elegant curves and accents. Keep this up and JK is going to have to move over a little bit for you to stand next to him. :D Compared to this piece and John's finial work it looks like I am using a dull soap spoon. Turn another piece, I want to see it!!!!

Dan Forman
03-15-2011, 2:07 PM
Well, I declare it a success! Sometimes our culture is so focused on "bigger and better" or bigger IS better, that we overlook the beauty in the small and elegant. This serves as a reminder to us all. Even without the wild figure, the design of this piece would stand on it's own.

Jeff Moffett
03-15-2011, 2:35 PM
Wise words and a stunning piece!

Tim Thiebaut
03-15-2011, 2:48 PM
This is without a doubt a beautiful piece! Your work is up there with some of the best on this site David, I am not going to name anyone because I dont want to leave anyone out...but rest assured you have some serious talent, look at your tall glass of bergundy, blue moon and your flower style HF's...as a true noob to turning I can only say that you and all of the rest of the craftsman on this site are an inspiration to all of us that are just starting out.

Steve Schlumpf
03-15-2011, 2:52 PM
David - beautiful work for sure but what really stands out to me is your use of color to highlight the burl and natural edge! Very elegant turning and would look right at home in any art gallery!

Thanks for sharing!

Bernie Weishapl
03-15-2011, 2:55 PM
Beautiful piece David. The burl and coloring are excellent. I agree that the instant gradification is what it is about. Has a very elegant look to it. Well done.

Scott Hackler
03-15-2011, 3:38 PM
Very nice David. I particularly like the color fade, it really stands out.

Faust M. Ruggiero
03-15-2011, 3:57 PM
Complimenting you is becoming redundant. From now on I will just say, "Ditto".
faust

David E Keller
03-15-2011, 6:27 PM
I like the piece, but I appreciate the sentiments about turning even more. Thanks for sharing.

Darren Jamieson
03-15-2011, 7:08 PM
WOOW, that is far out man, very deep for a bunch of turners:) The goblet on the other hand is fantastic. The coloring is real impressive and sure shows the peice off nicely. If that is what you consider something "just not screwed up" I really want to see your " man I did a good job on this one"s.

Ron Stadler
03-15-2011, 7:24 PM
Whatever dying technique you guys use for this effect is just awesome, I really wanna learn this someday. Beautiful piece David.

dan carter
03-15-2011, 7:29 PM
Very nice piece of worthless, almost to be thrown away, piece of wood. Nice job on the coloration.

Curt Fuller
03-15-2011, 8:11 PM
"padawan learner"? Going to have to look that one up.

Another very beautiful, delicate, and sensuous piece of work!

Brian Effinger
03-15-2011, 8:54 PM
You are a jedi master, sir. Beautiful piece. Love the pedistal and "smoosh" at the top and bottom of it. :)

All you need now is a light sabre. :D

Baxter Smith
03-15-2011, 9:57 PM
Very nice shape to the cup David and the coloring definitely makes it unique. I would find it interesting to see a picture of one of these pieces finished natural and one finished dyed for comparison.

Doug W Swanson
03-16-2011, 11:14 AM
Another excellent piece. I'm not big on the color/dye but the rest of it is just outstanding!

Bill Hensley
03-16-2011, 11:37 AM
The "force' is strong with this one. Perhaps too humble you are young jedi.

Sometimes when I turn I feel the "force", other times, not so much...

David DeCristoforo
03-16-2011, 11:59 AM
Thanx to all for the comments. To answer a few questions...

The stem is walnut. No… really. I wanted a light colored wood because I intended to do the dye thing on it. I did not have any maple laying around that I was willing to cut up but I do have a bunch of walnut. Having bleached walnut on many occasions, I was aware that it will bleach out to an almost white "color" so I turned the stem from walnut and bleached it. I don't think I will try this again because the thin part of the stem is too fragile for such an open pored wood. Just fine sanding the upper portion caused a quarter turn of deflection in the thin area of the stem. I was very lucky it did not twist off. Next time I'll go get some more maple!

I have been using my new Passhe air brush for the dye application. There's a world of difference between this brush and the "el cheapo" one I was using. I'm still never quite sure what is going on with the dyes. This one was "supposed" to be a violet color. But the green emerged, as if the powers that be wanted it green. And who am I to dispute the powers that be? It's all just a big experiment anyway so I just figure I'll get the violet color figured out on the next one!

John Keeton
03-16-2011, 12:05 PM
David, on the green dye thing, I have found that with maple burls, the yellow/amber color of them really impacts any attempt at a blue color. The existing yellow/amber with the blue gives an instant green hue. The one really deep blue piece I did on a maple burl was done with SOAKING the piece with blue dye several times, and following with a blue tinted lacquer.

Wonder if bleaching the burl would help?? What did you use to bleach?

David DeCristoforo
03-16-2011, 12:10 PM
"...What did you use to bleach?..."

"Hardware store" 2 part wood bleach. This stuff sucks the color out of walnut like you wouldn't believe! Had not really thought about bleaching the maple. But I might try that on the next one. I'm still looking for violet...

David DeCristoforo
03-16-2011, 1:54 PM
"...on the green dye thing..."

I just figured it out. I was unintentionally channeling St Patrick! That's why it came out green!