PDA

View Full Version : Garage door windows?

Kerry Adams
03-15-2011, 12:27 PM
Good afternoon,

The garage door spring needs replacing, so I am looking in to replacing the top panel with windows. This is South Carolina, so heat lost will be there, but not huge. I am doing it for the light I hope it will bring to the garage. Anyone else done this and thought it beneficial?

Thanks,
Kerry Adams

Michael Weber
03-15-2011, 1:15 PM
I have glass in my top panel. Never worried about heat loss much as the door is uninsulated anyway. However, it does make your garage less secure.

Art Mulder
03-15-2011, 3:02 PM
Yes. Did it and love it. Garage used to be this dark pit. Now it is well lit and often we don't even need to turn on the ceiling lights when we hop into the car.

My wife was concerned about security at first, but she loves the result SO much. In truth, the windows are quite high, and they are a touch frosted so we're not really that worried about people peering in.

ps: my garage is a garage, not a shop.

Dan Mages
03-15-2011, 5:29 PM
Our last garage door had windows and they let in a lot of light. I decided against them with the replacement so I could qualify for the tax credit. The garage is a dark hole without them.

Dan

Russ Filtz
03-16-2011, 8:10 PM
The problem with high windows though is a thief can break one and then have easy reach to pull the red handle, releasing the trolley. The door is then free to be lifted up.

Jim Koepke
03-16-2011, 11:04 PM
It may also depend on what direction your door is facing. Mine faces west. On a good day I just open the door for light.

If you are facing north, it may not do much.

You may see about getting high impact plastic for security purposes.

jtk

Kerry Adams
03-17-2011, 7:10 AM
Thanks for replys! Security is not a real issue since I don't have a garage door opener and our neighborhood watch is awesome. I face west and open the door on most days, but when its windy I would just like some natural light while working out there.

Thanks again,
Kerry

Harry Hagan
03-17-2011, 10:58 AM
My insulated door with insulated windows was a big improvement in comfort and lighting over the uninsulated windowless one it replaced. There's no substitute for natural sunlight.