PDA

View Full Version : Wood

Bernie Weishapl
01-25-2005, 12:13 AM
I just joined the list a couple of days ago. I have tried others but have not gotten much out of them. From what I have seen here so far I have already read posts that have helped. I am a electronic tech with the Federal Aviation Admin. Actually I am now the supervisor after have been a tech for 32 yrs. I also have a part time clock repair shop and do a lot of cabinet repair on these clocks. Most of them are 75 to 150 yrs. old. So I decided it would be kinda neat to build a clock. I have built 2 grandfather clocks which I sold one for $4200 and the other for $5100. The first was made of solid oak and the other out of solid walnut. Every piece was hand cut. Of course I had access to tools that I no longer have now since the gentleman has since passed. The kids took the tools back to the east coast and sold them. So I got some tools myself and would like to build clocks within my means. I have a Delta 10" table saw, Delta 9" bandsaw, Compound mitre saw, Craftsman router, and two craftsman scroll saws. I also have 3 sanders and would like to get another router that I could dedicate to stay with the table. I probably can't build the big grandfathers but can build mantle and wall clocks of different styles. Enough about that.

My question is has anyone bought lumber of ebay? There is a awful lot of good looking wood for what I think is a reasonable price. I have did alot of searching on the internet and found a lot of places. Can anyone give me some idea's where they buy wood from. All we have locally is Home Depot, Lowe's and our local Do It Center. None of which I am fond of when it comes to good lumber and prices out of this world. By the way my wife laid claims to the one scroll saw and does wood crafts. She is about to embark on trying Intarsia.

Anyway thanks in advance. Any help would be appreciated.

Bernie

David Klug
01-25-2005, 12:29 AM
Welcome to the creek Bernie. It's a nice place to spend time and get advice. Sorry I can't help you with the lumber because I buy locally. I'm sure someone else will give you some ideas.

DK

Cliff Newton
01-25-2005, 12:30 AM
I have purchased wood off ebay a couple times and was disappointed both times. The pictures usually look better than the actual piece. I recommend you check out www.curlywoods.com (http://www.curlywoods.com) if you're looking for some fancy woods at good prices. Mike Mastin is the owner and he is also a member here at SMC.

Keith Christopher
01-25-2005, 12:34 AM
I have bought from ebay, one time I forgot to check the dimensions and ended up buying someone's scrap. Lesson learned there. I usually buy from cook woods they are very reliable. warning in my experience you see the pics of the lined up cherry or walnut . . . check the dimensions. they're rarely > 24" long and 6" wide. The photos are VERY deceiving.

KEith

Alan Turner
01-25-2005, 4:56 AM
Bernie,
My somewhat local supplier is Groff & Groff, which is about a 1.5 hour drive. If it is something special in terms of color, coror match, or grain, then I drive down and hunt thrrough the stacks. If it is just wood of a certain dimension, then I call and they UPS it to me. I have found them to be well priced and quite fair. If you call them and tell them what you want, they will see if they have it, and then ship. For example, I needed 16/4 walnut for some leg stock. Had to clear cut 4 pieces, 24" by 6", and had to be rift sawn. So, they sent me a piece about 50" long, and 18" wide, with the two end rips being rift, and the center more plain sawn. No problem at all as they well understand the needs of a furniture maker.
Groff & Groff Lumber, Inc.
858 Scotland Road Quarryville, PA 17566
(800) 342-0001
(717) 284-0001
Fax (717) 284-2400.

All of the wood is in the rough, and cut pretty generously, if domestic. They take it from the tree to the mill (theirs) to the kiln, etc. They can surface it, but I don't ever have them do that. I think you will find their pricing to be very reasonable. Their stocks of tropicals is more limited than the domestics.
Alan

Doug Shepard
01-25-2005, 6:54 AM
Check out http://www.gilmerwood.com/Default.htm
Their site layout leaves a lot to be desired, but they have pics of every board, so you can see what you're getting. They've usually got a lot of very highly figured stuff.

Randy Moore
01-25-2005, 7:20 AM
Welcome to the Creek Bernie, You can get lots of info here in the creek. Ask all the questions you want and the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask.

Where abouts in Kansas are you? There is a couple places that I have heard about but never done business with. One is down in Pomona Ks, called FRIEDMAN'S HARDWOOD I believe. They say the wood is good and the prices reasonable. The other is down around Oxford Ks, but I know nothing about them.

Bob Nieman
01-25-2005, 7:27 AM
Living hundreds of miles from real wood I have made several ebay purchases and have been very happy. Yes you have to check dimensions because most of it is small, but none of the pictures have deceived me so far. Certain sellers are dependable--check their ratings and the comments. If people aren't happy, they mention it. Watch the shipping charges as well--you can get charged an awful lot. I have yet to pay more for the wood than I did in shipping.

my favorite seller: Sandi1070. Lots of bookmatched thin figured and or spalted lumber. I look everyday just because it is some beautiful wood.

Bb

Stefan Antwarg
01-25-2005, 7:38 AM
I have been to Groff and Groff many times (hey, they are only 20 minutes from me :))and have seen UPS drivers there picking up wood. So I know they deliver. Also, hearne hardwoods is in my area and they have a web site and may deliver - http://www.hearnehardwoods.com/. They both have good wood and I would trust that they would pick out good pieces for you. But if you want to be able to go someplace, I imagine there must be a local place. Even if you find the wood you want at the big home centers, you're going to pay a lot more than at a lumber yard. I would avoid e-bay.

Stefan

Jim Becker
01-25-2005, 8:52 AM
Welcome aboard, Bermie!

When buying lumber, the first choice should always be "in person" at a local supplier if you have one. That's about the only way you can truly choose for grain and color to make a project uniform. The second choice is via Internet/mail/phone to a well-known supplier, such as Curley Woods, Steve Wall or Hearne Hardwoods. (just examples of many out there) I think that EBAY would be the last place I'd source lumber other than some turning blanks and even there I prefer known sources.

Chosing lumber is the first step in the finishing process...

Douglas Robinson
01-25-2005, 9:05 AM
Wlecome and here are some wood dealers located relative to Olathe, Kansas:
Turn About Wood Kansas City MO (26 miles)
Kansas Hardwoods, Inc. Belvue KS (75 miles)
The Woodsmith Store Des Moines (Clive) IA (195 miles)
White River Hardwoods ~ Woodworks, Inc. Fayetteville AR (201 miles)
Hardwood Specialties Lakeview AR (214 miles)
St. Louis Hardwoods St. Charles MO (231 miles)
Rockler Woodworking and Hardware #19 St. Louis (Bridgeton) MO (237 miles)
St. Louis Hardwoods Sunset Hills MO (240 miles)
A-Plus Hardwoods Arnold MO (242 miles)
Scandinavian Woodshop /Sawmill Somers IA (243 miles)

All can be found on the Internet.

Doug

Dave Richards
01-25-2005, 9:25 AM
Bernie, welcome to the Creek. Any chance you know our buddy Tyler? Where is Tyler these days, anyway?

I'm thinking there must be a local source for good wood in your area. Try this site for a search. http://www.woodfinder.com/

Here's a couple that I found. Note: I have no connection with them and can't vouch for them.

Kansas Hardwoods, Inc.
Address: 22855 Highway 24
Belvue, KS 66407
Phone: 785-456-8141
E-Mail: Floersch@wamego.net

Turn About Wood
Address: 5226 NE Chouteau Trfwy.
Kansas City, MO 64119
Phone: (816) 587-3195
Fax: (816) 587-3158
E-Mail: turnaboutwood@aol.com
Web Address: www.turnaboutwood.com

I'd say if you can select the wood yourself, you're likely to get a better supply and probably spend less than taking pot luck with whatever the seller picks out. Good luck to you.

Dave

Edited to add that I found another:

Frieden Hardwoods
3462 Delaware Rd
Pomona,Ks 66076
Phone: 785-566-3702

Keith Christopher
01-25-2005, 10:30 AM
One of the things I have noticed on ebay is you rarely see anything that has any quantity to it. you might find a piece of purple heart with good dimensions but you never seem to find 40bf of it if you need it. I have gotten some nice figured lumber from there -which is what I usually look for on ebay- but for to buy enough useable stock for a project never.

Keith

Mike Mastin
01-25-2005, 10:46 AM
Steve and Jim are great guys at Kansas Hardwoods. They offer most of common species of native hardwoods and sometimes the lesser known ones, like Red Elm and Kentucky Coffee.

If you live in KC they are worth driving out to see what they have available. Tell them hello from me if you don't mind. I always stop in for a visit when I come to KC to visit family. There selections vary from time to time so you might want tocall before heading over if you are looking for something specific.

Bernie Weishapl
01-25-2005, 1:59 PM
Just a quick note to say thanks to all for your help. I have found ebay to be a good source for some things and not others. Like I said the wood looks so good and what prices, but! I have talked with other friends who do wood working and got the same reply, "the wood you get is not like the picture and you never get enough wood to do any real size project. By the way I am 3 hrs from Denver, Colo. Is there anybody who know of some wood places there? I will do some looking. Anyway thanks guys for the tips.

Randy I am on I-70 about as far west as you are east. I am 18 miles from the Colorado border.

Bernie Weishapl

George Summers
01-25-2005, 2:18 PM
Welcome Bernie, and a question.. I can't help you on wood sources in Kansas but my question is about the clocks you sold. Did you work from plans/kit (ie: Klock-it or similar source) or from your own design? Did you use quartz works or full mechanical works?

George

Dave Carey
01-25-2005, 3:09 PM
I've bought wood from eBay many times and have only been diappointed once (boards were warped; didn't show up in the pictures.) Mostly I've bought semi-exotic woods for boxes and decorative touches, though I did buy enough cypress to make some Adirondeck chairs. BF price can get up there if you're not careful but having your purchase delivered to the front door is very nice.

Bernie Weishapl
01-25-2005, 3:21 PM
George, I did my own design. I have worked on clocks for about 23 yrs. now and saw some things I liked on this grandfather or that grandfather cabinet. I also saw things I didn't like on other clocks. So I took and kind of put together what I thought was the perfect clock. I also had access to a complete cabinet building shop which I don't have now since the owner has passed on. So they were pretty much my design. I had another gentleman ask for my design on the clock list. I told him I didn't have any on paper. Also I used cable driven triple chime movements. I went with the top of the line.

Right now I can retire in 4 to 6 yrs. so I have one in mind to build which will be a 9 tubular chime unit. The movement is out of Germany and I paid $2200 for it. I got the movement now because prices will definately go up and I like this movement. I wanted one of these types in case they change or discontinue it. Anyway that is what I did. I have a couple of friends who did a kit out of klockkit and they were extremely nice when finished.

Bernie

Ted Shrader
01-25-2005, 3:22 PM
Hi Bernie -

Glad you found the Creek. Welcome! It is a good place to hang out and exchange ideas.

What part of KS are you in? I grew up in Great Bend and Stockton and went to KU.

Ted

Bernie Weishapl
01-25-2005, 3:34 PM
Ted, I live in Goodland which is on I-70 about 18 miles from the Colorado border. I actually grew up in Atwood which is just south of McCook, Neb.

Bernie

Dan Stuewe
01-25-2005, 3:46 PM
Isn't everything in Kansas "off of I-70"? (my dad was born in Alma).

I've bought a few pieces off of ebay. I want to make a small project out of santos mahogany which is seems to only be common in flooring (and even for flooring it seems to be unique). For most of it I used Cook, but I did find a nice piece from a newer seller (don't recall the name). The shipping was always a significant part of the deal, but for a small/special project it was/will be worth it. If I was looking for a more regular source, or one that would supply a larger quantity, I would look into the mail order lumber yards. Buying one stick at a time off of ebay would just get too expensive.

George M. Perzel
01-25-2005, 4:24 PM
Hi Ted;
Welcome to the SawMill- great bunch of folks here with a lotta info and advice-also a few laughs now and then which we all need.
I've purchased a lot of wood on Ebay, mostly small batches of various exotics that I use for laser inlays- key is to read the entire auction listing so there's no surprises, like high shipping costs. Here's a couple of good sellers who will work with you:
jholden420
chitswood
crwood4u
Good Luck
George M. Perzel

Douglas Robinson
01-25-2005, 5:21 PM
Rockler Woodworking and Hardware #3 Denver CO Reed Mill and Lumber Company, Inc. Denver CO

Tyler Howell
01-25-2005, 7:22 PM
I am a electronic tech with the Federal Aviation Admin. Actually I am now the supervisor after have been a tech for 32 yrs.
Welcome Bernie,
Good to have another ATO type on board. TJH here SSCM of SE MN SSC. DMS SMO NW side of AGL. 30.5 down 3 to go. I know, alphabet soup. Bernie knows what I'm talking about:D:D

Bernie Weishapl
01-25-2005, 10:04 PM
You bet I do Tyler. I have 6 more to go. I was going to say Central Region but I guess you and I are in the same Central Domain now. All these changes are starting to scare me.

Bernie

Bernie Weishapl
01-26-2005, 12:12 AM
I guess in my post I should also clairify that the type of wood I am looking for now is 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" as I do not have a planer. Right now my shop is a little to small for one of those. The 1/4 & 3/8 will be mainly for the wife and her crafts but I would like to find a good supplier of 1/2" in various widths and lengths. I found a lot of good wood suppliers and checked a couple on ebay that were said to be honest and have some good wood. I may try for one from these people and see. My grandfather always said 1st time you get me "shame on you" the second time "shame on me." So they might get me just once but won't get me twice. Again thanks. I appreciate all the info.

Bernie

Stefan Antwarg
01-26-2005, 6:27 AM
I would imagine that most of the lumber yards we are talking about have jointing/planing services available. I know the ones I go to will do it at an extra charge - per board foot. I do not know if they will resaw the 4/4 stock for you - that would be more economical and less of a waste. The home centers stock thinner material - but we have already talked about those places.

Stefan

Jim Becker
01-26-2005, 8:29 AM
Bernie, your clarification pretty much pushes you to buying "craft wood", given your need for thin stock. Most lumber firms don't stock it, although many do provide 1/2" for drawer stock, etc. It may be worth trying your EBAY suppliers just for the heck of it before paying the extraordinarily high prices for retail hobby wood...Rockler is an example of a firm that carries it.

Maybe you could hook up with another local woodworker to resaw and plane stock from time to time? It would cut your material cost to a fraction of buying pre-processed thin stock... ;)

Joe Pack
01-26-2005, 10:13 PM
West Penn Hardwoods has a fantastic stock, particularly if you want exotics or highly figured woods. And their traditional lumber is pretty good too. Their warehouse is the size of a small Lowe's, and they have pretty good prices on shipped bundles.

You might also try a search for Woodfinder, a web site whose specialty is locating wood suppliers around the US.

Of course, if you can drive to a location nearer you like Mike Mastin suggested, you would probably be better off.

And a big "hats off" to Mike Mastin for directing you to someone in your area when he could have waited for you to call HIM as someone else suggested. Matches everything I have heard about the way he does business.

Mark Frieden
05-16-2006, 5:49 PM
I am Mark Frieden, owner and operator of Mark Frieden Hardwoods, I saw you gentlemen on here and I was wondering if there was anything I could do to help you and your wood needs. If you need to contact me or would just want to see my prices and what i offer please look me up on www.woodfinder.com (http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/013683.php)

Adam Howard
05-17-2006, 8:05 AM
I've heard a lot of good things about Maple Leaf Hardwoods

www.curlymaple.com (http://www.curlymaple.com)

Check their Private stock listings. Wow!

I've bought wood from several Ebay sellers, but have used it only for pieces that are truly one-of-a-kind and spectacular.

The biggest problem with Ebay I've found is that defects and dryness can be misrepresented. 20% isn't kiln dry.......

Local is always your best bet, if you can find what you need. You may be able to find a local cabinet shop that will plane it to thickness for a fee.

Pete Harbin
05-17-2006, 3:58 PM
Bernie,

I have had excellent service from chitswood on eBay. He has tons of exotics in all kinds of sizes, from full boards to thins for inlay. He'll combine orders for shipping and will even wait to combine if you're wanting to bid on more than one auction. I've bought from him about 4 or 5 times now.

I've had some really good results with veneer stock and some not so good results. I also found some really nice birdseye maple boards (30-36" long, 4-8" wide) a while back but I can't remember the seller's name.

You definately take a chance on ebay.

Pete