PDA

View Full Version : Green wood rusting ways?

bobby lynn
03-15-2011, 11:15 AM
Got tired of cleaning up rust every day after turning green wood so bought a spray can of graphite lubricant from local John Deere store and it does work wonders. Cleaned rust off of ways and not wanting to get spray all over lathe I sprayed it on a foam brush and then painted it on the ways. Been there about a month and probably turned 15 wet blanks and no rust with added benefit of banjo and tailstock sliding like on ice.
Also used it on tool rest post and hole in banjo to keep them from rusting.
Vicmarc chuck was getting stuck so painted some on back of it and now I don't have to say bad words and beat it off with hammer.
Try it, you'll like it.

Steve Schlumpf
03-15-2011, 11:45 AM
Bobby - thanks for the info. Does the graphic lube dry at all or do you wipe the excess off or what?

Michael Mills
03-15-2011, 12:00 PM
I use a graphite spray also (Dry Lube) but it worked too well on the bed of the lathe. It was just TOO SLICK and I could not lock the banjo good enough. I cleaned it off with mineral spirits and steel wool and then waxed. That said, it does work wonders for hand powered surfaces such as the back of the chuck (as you mentioned) gears in the chuck, or for the quill/tailstock interior. With my results on the lathe bed I will probably skip the tool post/banjo hole also.
The brand I use is just graphite in a carrier (shake well) and you do not wipe it off. Once the carrier evaporates only the coating is left which does not attract/hold dust.

bobby lynn
03-15-2011, 12:34 PM
Dry in a few seconds. I have not had a problem with banjo or tailstock slipping. Locks as before but no rust to clean everyday as before.

Dan Forman
03-15-2011, 2:10 PM
And what brand would that be?

Dan

Bernie Weishapl
03-15-2011, 3:02 PM
Have not used the graphite lub and have only used wax. I have a can of it and may give it a try.

bobby lynn
03-15-2011, 8:18 PM
John Deere.

Jeff Krug
03-15-2011, 10:27 PM
I use Johnson Paste wax rubbed on with 0000 steel wool, then buffed off. Nothing sticky is left on the ways to catch sawdust, the ways are protected from rust, and the tailstock and banjo slide like silk!

Nathan Hawkes
03-16-2011, 11:50 AM
I've found that paste wax only delays the inevitable. I use WD-40 in the liquid, non-aerosol version. You can buy it in a gallon can, and for me, it works great. I find that when I'm turning green wood, there's going to be a wet sticky residue on the bed ways from the sap spinning out of the end grain anyway, so I plan on spending some time every session to blow the bed off with compressed air and a fresh coat of WD-40. Its by no means a protectant like oil or wax would be, but since I turn frequently, it works well.

Harry Robinette
03-16-2011, 10:22 PM
My Lathes are in my basement and it's not real damp but I do get some rust,But I turn almost all green wood and I just wipe the ways down with a paper towel when ever I'm done. About once a month I wipe them with a paper towel with T9 Bioshield from Boeing corp I get it from Woodcraft. I just spray the towel just a little and wipe the ways then let dry till next day.Works get for me been doing it for around 10 years now.I'm retired US Air Force jet engine mech. and we used this stuff all over the aircraft. Just remember light on the spray to much and it can get gummy.

Bill Hensley
03-17-2011, 9:28 AM
I was having a problem with some very corrosive cherry so I got a scrap piece of vinyl coated fabric to cover the ways while turning. Every so often I dump it as it builds up. I still have to do spot cleaning (scrubbing) but it isn't nearly as bad. I clean and protect with Walmart house brand lubricant similar to WD40 for half the price.

Faust M. Ruggiero
03-17-2011, 9:51 AM
I too use Boeshield. I usually just spray it on after a session and let it lay on the ways. It works but I find the lathe requires a lot of attention to keep away the rust.

bobby lynn
03-17-2011, 3:26 PM
No residue no wiping down no nothing on ways by using graphite.

Ryan Baker
03-17-2011, 8:06 PM
I use Johnson Paste wax on the ways. But if they do start rusting, Barkeeper's Friend is good at cleaning it off. Then get another coat of wax down.