PDA

View Full Version : Saw blade holder + new cabinet

Lee Ludden
03-15-2011, 9:30 AM
I finally got around to finishing up with an idea I had a while back for storing my table saw blades.

First, I cut a blade holder from 1/4" plywood, and cut out a handle. I cut a 5/8" hole in the center and stuck in a short piece of 5/8" hardwood dowel. To make a snug fit, I cut a 1/4" kerf in the back of the dowel and stuck a small screw in there to act as a wedge. I also countersunk two small rare earth magnets to help keep the blade secure, and added two holes in the back to make it easy to take the blade off.
I ended up with this:

And here it is with a blade:

I made 1 of these for each blade, plus a few with slightly longer dowels to hold the chippers for my dado set. These are then stored in a drawer specifically made for them in a new cabinet I built:

As you can see, I made plenty of room for expansion

Here is the final cabinet before I stuck it under the extension on my unisaw:

A pretty basic shop cabinet, 36" wide x 29" deep and 29" high. Built from baltic birch plywood with hard maple face frame and a MDF/Laminate top. I used pocket screw joinery throughout. The large bottom drawer is for holding my tenoning jig and other odd shaped jigs and is 3/4" sides with 1/2" bottom. The two upper right drawers are for my zero tolerance inserts and other TS related items. The upper right is the saw blade drawer. All the drawers use 100lb 28" full extension slides.

I am pretty pleased with it. It cleared a lot of clutter from around my TS and hopefully will help me keep more organized.

Rick Moyer
03-15-2011, 6:03 PM
Lee that's really,really nice. However for the costs of your materials and considering I only have two TS blades, one of which is mounted in the saw, I think I'll just keep the other one on a nail!:D

Chris Fournier
03-15-2011, 6:15 PM
Very nice!

Neil Brooks
03-15-2011, 7:41 PM
Beautifully done !

Silly question: is it just a press fit that holds the blades on the "panels ?"

Really, really nice :)

Norman Hitt
03-15-2011, 7:54 PM
Beautifully done !

Silly question: is it just a press fit that holds the blades on the "panels ?"

Really, really nice :)

That's what he put the two magnets on each blade panel for.

Chip Lindley
03-16-2011, 1:05 AM
Nice storage idea! To add extra security and keep the blades from even thinking about sliding off the dowel, a notch can be cut into the dowel, about 3/16" deep and the width of the saw plate. Gravity will tend to lock the blade onto the dowel; the magnets will hold the blade to the storage plate.

Paul McGaha
03-16-2011, 2:43 AM
Lee,

Thats a very useful shop cabinet. Nicely done.

There is something about building something for the shop isnt it? Maybe its because we get to be the end users.

PHM

Dave Gaul
03-16-2011, 7:24 AM
Nice job! Maybe consider adding a label of some sort along the top edge of each blade's panel to ID the blade?

Bill ThompsonNM
03-16-2011, 8:25 AM
Great job... I've been trying to decide what a cabinet under my unisaw extension should look like... now I know!

Lee Ludden
03-16-2011, 10:19 AM
Silly question: is it just a press fit that holds the blades on the "panels ?"The magnets are there for extra support, but the main holding is from a 5/8" dowel glued to the center. The blade rests on the dowel - the magnets just keep it from falling off.

Maybe consider adding a label of some sort along the top edge of each blade's panel to ID the blade?
That will be going in next. I have to make a few more blade holders and will then stick labels on them all.

David Hostetler
03-16-2011, 10:32 AM
Very nice. I have been considering a workstation / cabinet build for my BT3100, and your blade drawer idea looks like a real winner. I don't have many blades unlike a lot of guys, but I do have a few, and I would like to get them off the peg board / walls...

glenn bradley
03-16-2011, 10:40 AM
Its great to have your blades and tools nearby. Makes one more apt to use the right blade for the job. Great use of space under the saw too. Keeping items that go with a certain tool or function at your fingertips makes your shop time more enjoyable. Good choice on those wire pulls too; no edges for things to get snagged on (like my knobs . . . been meaning to change those out . . . ).