PDA

View Full Version : A try at burning

Curt Fuller
03-14-2011, 9:52 PM
I had this Cottonwood HF that was roughed a while back. But it had some cracks, worm holes, and punky wood near the top that detracted from the rest of the wood. So I decided it would be my first (and maybe last) victim of trying to burn a design into the wood. I really had no idea what I was doing and didn't plan this out. You can get away with that on most forms but when it comes to something like this I now realize I'll need to be much more careful in planning and laying out a design if I try it again. On this I cut a few shallow horizontal groves, then burned them. Then I freehanded the vertical lines with a burner (very cheap childs version), and finally colored in some of the squares with a black sharpie. End result was a design that ended up as 52"s, 25's, crosses, or dragonflies, depending on how you look at it. Pretty goofy looking up close but not bad if you stand back 50-100'.:rolleyes: I think it's something I might pursue a little further if I have some pieces that aren't much good for anything else.

Steve Vaughan
03-14-2011, 10:01 PM
Curt, I think you did fine on that. It looks really cool. All the burners I know had to have a first in there somewhere, and you did a great job on yours. Most likely, you'll want to do this again and again, learning more as you go.

Bernie Weishapl
03-14-2011, 10:04 PM
Curt that looks great. I like the design. First or last keep'em coming.

Donny Lawson
03-14-2011, 10:09 PM
I don't see anything wrong with that. It's alot better than I could do. One of these days I'm going to buy me a burner and try this. I've been saying this for 6 months now. I think a burner would be great to have.
Donny

Dick Wilson
03-14-2011, 10:20 PM
Curt, I think this a great first effort. There sure isn't anything wrong with it. I've done a fair amount of woodturning. A hobby shop burner is not the best burner. I have a RazorTip. If you buy a wood burning tool check out the cost of various tips before you buy. RazorTip tips are very expensive ($15 or so per tip). I wouldn't get it again for that reason. Other models tips are under $10. If I were you I would do more exploring. It adds to you abilities on certain pieces.

Michael James
03-14-2011, 10:46 PM
Love that HF and finish as always! I think that's a great start at texturing and you've already learned some lessons on this one. I bought a harbor fr "kit" a few months ago but haven't touched it yet. I should be heading down that road by the end of the yr, so keep posting em!

Ron Stadler
03-14-2011, 11:05 PM
I think it looks great Curt and the form looks really nice too. I did a piece of cottonwood once, actually it was my first piece but didn't turn out near is nice as this piece of wood, the color in this in wonderful. The piece I had was very very white, but I cut it from a dead decaying tree so maybe that is the difference.:(

Dale Miner
03-14-2011, 11:27 PM
Curt, I got a chuckle out of your story.

My burnmanship stinks, so your work looks like a very good first effort to me. The form of the saved piece is perfect.

Later,
Dale M

Steve Schlumpf
03-14-2011, 11:48 PM
Curt - I like it! Love the form! Great looking wood - color and curl! I like the pattern you created - reminds me of a beaded necklace! Pretty cool stuff!

Mark Hubl
03-15-2011, 12:58 AM
Looks great Curt. I do like this effect. Do you think the "52" jumped out at me because I that is how old I am??

Jim Burr
03-15-2011, 1:12 AM
I think it looks cool! I have a small pencil burner and I have no intention of trying that! You done good! What else ya got?

John Keeton
03-15-2011, 6:14 AM
Curt, without regard to the "design" the dark collar really suits this piece - well proportioned, and well placed. To me, that is most important, as overall, the piece is attractive. The wood is very nice, and the form is great. I have not done much pyro work yet - just a couple of very simple "beaded" pieces, but in my opinion, you did a good job on that part, too.

For me, there are two important elements in pyro work - the quality of the work itself (depends so much on the quality of the tool used) and the design placement as it relates to the form as a whole. Most pyro work I see doesn't pass the second test, and to me, that is the most important. You did very well!!

steven carter
03-15-2011, 9:13 AM
Curt,

I think you are being too hard on yourself, the photos were not taken from 50 - 100 feet away, and they look fine to me. I agree with John and others that the placement and width of the band really suits the form, and I like the effect of the "flat" beads very much.

Steve

Don Nicholas
03-15-2011, 10:34 AM
IMHO I think you have done a fine job for your first attempt. The form and the wood plus your burning really set off the piece.
Very well done. On burning, is the burning process done on the "raw" wood or after the finish is applied to the turning?

Darren Jamieson
03-15-2011, 2:00 PM
I have to agree with all the rest, it looks just fine to me. The form is great and I think the proportions of the burnt strip a perfect. If you really don't like it the only thing I could sugest is sanding the top off and just leave the carved lines black. But IMO it is not necessary.

Baxter Smith
03-15-2011, 10:09 PM
Looks great with the cottonwood. For a first its pretty impressive! I have contemplated trying some but it wouldn't be nearly that complex a pattern.