PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Closed end pen Mandrels

James Combs
03-14-2011, 9:45 PM
Remember the replica cigar I posted a few days ago. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?161649-Becareful-it-s-Lit&highlight= I need a closed in pen mandrel for it. I made a couple to fit Churchill blanks. Though others might be able to use my method and yes there is "turning" involved, not necessarily wood but steel and rubber.:D

I have a three foot piece of 5/8" cold rolled rod. I cut a couple of appropriate length pieces and drill a 1/4" hole through the center. Turned part of the rod to fit the blank. picked up a couple long 1/4-20 bolts at the borg. Cut a short piece from some 1/4" air hose that I had. Assembled everything together, turned a little off the air hose to fit inside the blank and presto a couple of closed end pen mandrels. It works similar to the rubber sanding drum mandrels.

Cautionary note, these are not for a specific OD size blank. I used them for 3/4" cigar replica. For a closed end Churchill a Churchill size bushing would need to be added.

Brian McInturff
03-14-2011, 10:12 PM
Good going James. Pretty cool. That's the first one I've seen designed like that. Most use the pin that rolls onto a flat spot. Yours sounds like it could be adjustable by using different types of hose.

James Combs
03-14-2011, 11:34 PM
Good going James. Pretty cool. That's the first one I've seen designed like that. Most use the pin that rolls onto a flat spot. Yours sounds like it could be adjustable by using different types of hose.

Possibly but I think you would loose some precision and stability. The piece of hose on these is only the locking device. It swells up inside the blank when you tighten the nut. If I read your idea correctly the entire length of the mandrel that goes inside the blank would be rubber and would swell up for different IDs of different size blanks. Am I close?? If so I don't think you would get good repeatable alignment of the blank to the center-line of the lathe spindle.

Don Nicholas
03-15-2011, 10:16 AM
Great Idea, would a washer between the bolt head and the rubber tubing be of any value?
What are your thoughts on chucking the 1/2" rod and use a center drill on the tailstock end for the live center then use various files to "turn" the rod to the desired size.I do not have a metal lathe
Thank you for posting

James Combs
03-15-2011, 10:31 PM
Great Idea, would a washer between the bolt head and the rubber tubing be of any value?
What are your thoughts on chucking the 1/2" rod and use a center drill on the tailstock end for the live center then use various files to "turn" the rod to the desired size.I do not have a metal lathe
Thank you for posting

I am sure it can be done and I have done some file work myself in a different life but it takes forever. A better alternative lacking a metal lathe is the use of carbide tipped tools. Think EWTs. Even though I have a metal lathe I regularly true up new jaws for my Nova chucks with my Easy Wood detailer (other carbides are way too large for metal work). Haven't tried it on a "spindle" shape but it certainly works good on the steel chuck jaws. I just assemble the jaws that need truing, mount the chuck on my wood lathe and go at it. The detailer has a very small point and is easy to control. Be aware though you will have hot metal shavings landing on your hands. I think you could use the detailer to remove most of the metal and to give you the basic shape then use a fine file and sandpaper to finish it up. Also if you don't have the EWT detailer here is a good excuse to get one. Much cheaper then a metal lathe.

Oh, and as for a washer, it works fine without one so I didn't consider it.

Don Nicholas
03-16-2011, 10:01 AM
James,
Thank you for your informative reply
Don

Mark Hubl
03-17-2011, 7:26 PM
Thanks for posting James. Nice to see how you were skinning the cat.