PDA

View Full Version : Experimenting Is Fun

Dick Wilson
03-14-2011, 9:24 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh. The feeling that you are accomplishing something is grand.:D This is an experimental piece that I am working on. A couple years ago I constructed and turned pine construction 2x6's into a form with the idea of doing a Molthrup mosaic piece. It has been sitting on my bench collecting dust since. We had a guest speaker at my woodworking guild one evening who is an expert in faux finishing walls, etc. to look like wood grain. I got to thinking this might be an interesting exercise to use my airbrush and paint. I have done a fair amount of airbrushing with dye and am pretty darn good at it. BUT!! Airbrushing paint is a whole different animal. I am trying to accomplish an Italian alabaster look. As you can see I have a long, long way to go. I have decided to take some instructional from a local artist I know. This is a great canvas because the wall thickness is 3/4". I lay down the base white, airbrush, and sand it off on the lathe and start all over. I have done that half a dozen times. Great fun:D:D:D186835

Bernie Weishapl
03-14-2011, 9:27 PM
Dick I like that piece. Really well done. It sure is fun experimenting.

Steve Schlumpf
03-15-2011, 12:02 AM
Very interesting concept! Sure looks cool!

John Keeton
03-15-2011, 6:47 AM
Dick, I like what you did here - very pleasing appearance. The "veins" are rather distinct, and I wonder if one used a feather to paint them if that would help. I have seen several faux painters do that, and it is very effective. Probably takes a bit of practice, but seems to produce a varied width line, with enough "texture" in in to add to the illusion of marble.

One change I would make in this particular piece is the elimination of the extra gray base block. I think the thickness and size of the black portion is just about right. But, that is just one guy's opinion!!

I look forward to seeing where you take this. The airbrush is kind of fun - I am still playing with the concept. For me, paints have been easier than dyes, so I would like to learn from you on that if you undertake some dyed projects.

Michael James
03-15-2011, 10:00 AM
You are definitely onto something here. I would imagine the use of dyes as a base, then paint will take you anywhere you want to go! Thanks for posting!
mj

Quinn McCarthy
03-15-2011, 10:57 AM
I wish my experiments turned out that nice.

Great job Dick.

Quinn

Dick Wilson
03-15-2011, 11:24 AM
Dick, I like what you did here - very pleasing appearance. The "veins" are rather distinct, and I wonder if one used a feather to paint them if that would help. I have seen several faux painters do that, and it is very effective. Probably takes a bit of practice, but seems to produce a varied width line, with enough "texture" in in to add to the illusion of marble.

One change I would make in this particular piece is the elimination of the extra gray base block. I think the thickness and size of the black portion is just about right. But, that is just one guy's opinion!!

I look forward to seeing where you take this. The airbrush is kind of fun - I am still playing with the concept. For me, paints have been easier than dyes, so I would like to learn from you on that if you undertake some dyed projects.

John, Thanks for the comments. I am ahead of you on the feather. I used a Mallard wing feather to apply the dark lines. My aim is to be able to do everything with the airbrush. Like you said, it is all a matter of a lot of practice. Here is a pic of airbrushed dye work that I do.186901

Tim Thiebaut
03-15-2011, 12:20 PM
Morning Dick, that is a very nice vase on your first one posted here, I like what you have done as far as painting it goes....your right,it is fun to experiment, I have a blast just playing around sometimes and learning as I go with no set purpose in mind, just turning to turn. On the first piece above I do think it would look better without the bottom light colored piece, I just think the dark on bottom would match the collar better.

This second piece you posted is beautiful, I have never used an airbrush before in my life....my mom and brothers are the painters in the family. Is there a steep learning curve with airbrushing? Thanks for shareing your pictures with us.

John Keeton
03-15-2011, 1:39 PM
Dick, that dyed piece is awesome!! Lot of color and transitions - not to mention a wonderful piece of wood. Thanks for posting that!! Nice finish, too, BTW!

Dick Wilson
03-15-2011, 1:45 PM
Morning Dick, that is a very nice vase on your first one posted here, I like what you have done as far as painting it goes....your right,it is fun to experiment, I have a blast just playing around sometimes and learning as I go with no set purpose in mind, just turning to turn. On the first piece above I do think it would look better without the bottom light colored piece, I just think the dark on bottom would match the collar better.

This second piece you posted is beautiful, I have never used an airbrush before in my life....my mom and brothers are the painters in the family. Is there a steep learning curve with airbrushing? Thanks for shareing your pictures with us.

Afternoon Tim, To answer your question: yes there is a short learning curve. View Chris Stotts video on "Coloring for Effect" He talks a lot about using dye and all sorts of media to color turnings. I basicly picked up all the techniques that I have used from his video. From there it is just experimenting. I think this multi-colored bottle is the 2nd or 3rd piece that I worked on. Airbrushing dye is not very difficult. The dirty little secret is that when you airbrush dye all the colors automaticly blend together. I have also used poster board templates (curves) to lay down a darker accent line. I have also picked up some good pointers viewing some of the videos on YouTube. Give it a try, it is a great door to open to expand your work. Dick

Darren Jamieson
03-15-2011, 1:48 PM
This is the second or third peice I have seen that has been airbrushed and I am very interested in giving it a try. Two of my brothers used to do alot of airbrush work and I have done a very little but maybe it is time to try it again. The first peice is interesting and I am not sure it is quite right but well on it's way. The second pic is beautiful with a very shinny finish which usually shows any flaw times ten, so the turning must be quit good under the paint.

Ron Stadler
03-15-2011, 7:16 PM
I really like this piece, I do but I'm not sure I'm sold on the extra white chunk on the base. To me this is kind of distracting and my eyes get focused on this, but the rest of the piece is just gorgeous and beautifully done.

Steve Vaughan
03-15-2011, 7:50 PM
Here ya go, when you sand and repaint. Keep the black and white as is except paint those veins red or clean, bright white. I dunno, for some reason I thought with this piece that would just look really cool with that contrast. I know that's not quite the Italian alabaster look, but I was having one of those brainstorm moments there.

Dick Wilson
03-15-2011, 8:11 PM
Here ya go, when you sand and repaint. Keep the black and white as is except paint those veins red or clean, bright white. I dunno, for some reason I thought with this piece that would just look really cool with that contrast. I know that's not quite the Italian alabaster look, but I was having one of those brainstorm moments there.

Steve, I am working on a piece right now that will have white going down the center. That's all I am going to say right now:D:D:D

Baxter Smith
03-15-2011, 10:01 PM
The first one is interesting but the second one is cool!! Nice work and thanks for posting!