PDA

View Full Version : Birdhouse With Identy Crisis...

James Combs
03-14-2011, 8:29 PM
... or maybe it is a spindle with an odd looking top.:eek:

This was meant to be more an exercise in spindle turning then making a "birdhouse on a stik" as some might call it. I am not too thrilled with the overall look but I feel that I did some fairly decent shaping and detailing.

Stats:
Material = Walnut Burl base and house with maple pedestal and finial and a spalted Box Elder roof.
Diameter = 2.25
Height = 17" (tall lanky dude ain't he:D)
Finish = Deft Rattle can sanding sealer and two coats of WOP

John Keeton
03-14-2011, 9:03 PM
JD, your skills are really shining!! I like the detail work on this piece, and it seems to have a pretty decent balance. You may not be pleased with it overall, but I think it works! That burl is awesome - is that some of the chunk you gave me?? If so, I need to work on a piece of it!

Donny Lawson
03-14-2011, 9:19 PM
That's a neat looking house. Good detail and color contrast.

Bernie Weishapl
03-14-2011, 9:19 PM
James now that is a neat looking birdhouse. Attention to detail looks great.

James Combs
03-14-2011, 9:33 PM
JD, your skills are really shining!! I like the detail work on this piece, and it seems to have a pretty decent balance. You may not be pleased with it overall, but I think it works! That burl is awesome - is that some of the chunk you gave me?? If so, I need to work on a piece of it!

Exactly, the one and the same. I would sure be interested to see what you can do with some of it.

John Keeton
03-14-2011, 10:23 PM
JD, I will let you know!!

Kathy Marshall
03-14-2011, 10:43 PM
Ditto what everyone else said. I like it!

Curt Fuller
03-14-2011, 11:04 PM
That's a great looking birdhouse! But be careful, they can be addictive. Before you know it you'll have them sitting all over the house and your wife saying "not another birdhouse!".

Steve Schlumpf
03-14-2011, 11:53 PM
James - that is really cool! I like all the detail work! Looks like it would have been fun to turn!

James Combs
03-15-2011, 10:45 PM
James - that is really cool! I like all the detail work! Looks like it would have been fun to turn!

Thanks Steve, the really fun part was watching the LOML's eyes light up when I showed it to her. She collects miniature bird houses but had never seen one on a pedestal.