PDA

View Full Version : Bowl 31 Bradford Pear NE2

James Combs
03-14-2011, 8:17 PM
This is the sister (or brother) to my bowl number 27. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?160010-Bowl-27-Bradford-Pear-NE&highlight= It is the other half of the Bradford pear crotch. You may recall that I had mislabeled it as "Bartlett" pear.

This one did a little better job of holding onto it's bark but doesn't have quite as nice a shape as it's sibling. Color and grain are just as nice though IMO.

Stats:
Material = Bradford Pear Crotch
Diameter = 5.75" at widest point (a tad smaller then 27)
Height = 2-3/8"
Finish = 1 coat of Deft lacquer based sanding sealer + 2 coats of WOP (no buffing yet)
Edit- Wall thickness = 3/16 at top to 5/16 at base (kept it thicker to retain the bark.

Critique and comments solicited

Roger Chandler
03-14-2011, 8:19 PM
Great form on this one JD! Super nice!

Nate Davey
03-14-2011, 8:20 PM
Beautiful bowl James, nice when the bark hangs on, isn't it?

John Keeton
03-14-2011, 8:47 PM
JD, this one turned out pretty well, too! You really got a nice build of finish for just the sealer coat and two coats of WOP - sweet!! Pretty color and figure, too.

Bernie Weishapl
03-14-2011, 9:25 PM
James that is a beauty. Finish is great.

James Combs
03-14-2011, 9:40 PM
Beautiful bowl James, nice when the bark hangs on, isn't it?

Yep, sure is nice when a plan comes together:cool:.

JD, this one turned out pretty well, too! You really got a nice build of finish for just the sealer coat and two coats of WOP - sweet!! Pretty color and figure, too.

This and the birdhouse is my first try at using a sealer first. Easy to apply with a rattle can, dries in less then an hour, touch it up with some 320 grit and start with the WOP. Even the first coat of WOP has a decent gloss. I think I will continue with using it. The downside is that it is not compatible with some other finish coats.

Steve Schlumpf
03-14-2011, 11:57 PM
Nice bowl James! Good looking wood and your finish really brings it to life! Nice work!

Thomas Canfield
03-15-2011, 10:18 PM
James,

That is a nice looking bowl. Don't you just love BP when you get it finished. Did you turn this green and then finish after drying since there does not seem to be a lot of distortion? I have done several with a oil/poly blend and like the oil, and have also done some with just Mahoney's Walnut Oil so that they can be used for utility bowls. I stop my truck anytime there is some BP down and available.

James Combs
03-15-2011, 10:40 PM
James,

That is a nice looking bowl. Don't you just love BP when you get it finished. Did you turn this green and then finish after drying since there does not seem to be a lot of distortion? I have done several with a oil/poly blend and like the oil, and have also done some with just Mahoney's Walnut Oil so that they can be used for utility bowls. I stop my truck anytime there is some BP down and available.

Yes it was green but I turned it to finish size and then DNA'd it for three days (read forgot about it). When it was dry I just touched it up a little and sanded it. It is actually fairly distortion free, at least not enough to pickup by eye even if you have it in your hands. What you are seeing is probably photo distortion or camera angle or something like that. Keep in mind that it is a crotch piece and therefore the sides are not symmetrical. It has a similar shape to it's other half http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-NE&highlight= (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?160010-Bowl-27-Bradford-Pear-NE&highlight=) just not as pronounced.

Dan Forman
03-16-2011, 3:30 AM
Very nice bowl, glad the bark stayed on for you.

Dan

James Combs
03-16-2011, 8:17 PM
Very nice bowl, glad the bark stayed on for you.

Dan

Thanks Dan, after loosing most of the bark on the previous one, I hit it with CA at about 1/2" wall thickness and again at about 5/16". After the CA I don't think I lost even a green flake of moss.;)

Cathy Schaewe
03-16-2011, 9:00 PM
I like it - very nice job.