PDA

View Full Version : Jet 1642 Remote Switch and Some Lessons Learned

Nate Davey
03-14-2011, 7:42 PM
About two pages back, Dale Bright showed a picture of his remote switch for his Jet 1642. I liked it so unabashedly copied it. I absolutely love it. It's nice to be able, when standing at the end of the lathe, adjust the speed or with my hip, turn the lathe off. I picked up some 5 conductor thermostat wire from the borg and some connectors so I can easily return it to stock. My next project is to remote the RPM display so I can see it from the end of the lathe as well.

To test my remote switch, some of you may remember this little vase I asked for design help on. I screwed it up on exit with the tool but wanted to finish it as is for the experience and to have around as a reminder to be careful. I also had a chance to play around with my Dremel and assorted burls to clean up the wreckage. I guess this is more of an archeological recovery than a collectors piece.

Some of the lessons learned:
1. Watch your tool when your exiting your work
2. Use the right tool for the job. A bent hollower is nice for around corners but not the right tool for straight in. I found my EWT Ci0 is great for that. When I make my "Ellsworth" tool, I will probably use a round carbide cutter for the straight one.

Anywho, Ambrosia maple, 5.5" tall, 1/4" at neck and 3/8" on the rest, sanded to 600 Abralon, Shellac sanded back 3 times then a final coat. Photo was ambient light F8, shutter speed 1/1.6 with my copier paper photo gradient. Thanks for looking.

Nate

Mike Cruz
09-26-2012, 10:24 PM
Nate, great idea on the remote switch. Thanks for posting this!

Bernie Weishapl
09-27-2012, 12:12 AM
Looks good Nate. Yep I learned long ago when hollowing to stop the machine before removing the tool. Hate it when you do all that work and the bang.

Don Orr
09-27-2012, 11:38 AM
Nice work on both jobs. I also have a Jet 1642 and saw the modification Dale made. I had seen a tutorial somewhere but can't find it now. Can you point me in the direction please? I thought I saved it but just can't find it. Help is greatly appreciated.

Dwight Rutherford
09-27-2012, 11:56 AM
Nice work on both jobs. I also have a Jet 1642 and saw the modification Dale made. I had seen a tutorial somewhere but can't find it now. Can you point me in the direction please? I thought I saved it but just can't find it. Help is greatly appreciated.

Try to Google "Mustard Monster Weebly"

Nate Davey
09-27-2012, 1:01 PM
Don,

I literally did a one for one wire swap. I unplugged one wire, put the terminals on and attached it to the extension. This way I didn't get confused. The box is a 3/4" side elbow (I think). I attached the magnets with bolts through the back. I've, since, sold the lathe so can't take pics.

PS This post is over a year old. :cool:

Mike Cruz
09-27-2012, 2:07 PM
Yeah, Nate, I noticed that, but no one responded to it, so I thought I'd revive it! :)

Don Orr
09-27-2012, 8:26 PM
Thanks guys ! I didn't notice the date on the top post.