PDA

View Full Version : super fmt owners

jim sauterer
03-14-2011, 4:31 PM
have any of you that own a super fmt ever made angled tenons on it.i want to build some mission style chairs and the back legs require a angled mortise and tenon.thanks jim.

Ryan Hellmer
03-14-2011, 4:58 PM
I have the FMT pro, but the same principles apply. They easiest angles to accomodate are by moving the clamping plate (0-30 degrees) and leaving the guide at 90 degrees to the table. To accomodate compound or angles that must run the long length of the tennon, I would cut shop made angle guides and lock the "fence" in at the appropriate angle. It's really quite easy. Have you consulted your manual or the website? leighjigs.com.

Ryan

jim sauterer
03-14-2011, 5:09 PM
thanks ryan .i dont own the fmt yet.i wanted the info to help make my decision.i have seen several videos but none with the angled m&t.

Philip Rodriquez
03-15-2011, 9:54 AM
Angled and compound angled M&T's are really easy. As Ryan mentioned, check out the owner's manual and it will give you the info on what you are looking for.

Ryan Hellmer
03-15-2011, 11:41 AM
Jim, there are lots of hints and videos on the website. I recently built a crib with about 150 mortice and tennon joints and my jig performed great. One thing I would recommend is making sure you have a quality plunge router. My Makita RF1101 attached directly to the plate and has no noticeable wobble in the plunge. I know DeWalt has a pretty good reputation for plunge routers as well. I'd steer clear of cheapies (craftsman, hitachi etc).