PDA

View Full Version : zero clearance insert for G0691

Matthew Curtis
03-14-2011, 3:45 PM
How do I make a zero cleance insert for this tablesaw? How do I incorparate the leveling screws? Or do I even have to.

Chip Lindley
03-14-2011, 4:27 PM
Matthew, I will relate my own method. First, take a look at the stock insert that came with your TS. You would be money (and time) ahead to make a permanent "pattern" for producing several identical inserts. The pattern can be screwed to the back of a new blank, and the outline can be routed perfectly with a pattern bit.

Make your blank inserts of MDF, Melamine-coated particle board, or solid wood. Consider the ZCs expendable! They need not be a work of art! When you fail to get a perfect, splinter-free cut any longer, trash the insert and use a new one.

Rip some pieces to exact width to fit in your TS opening. Rough out the curved ends over-size on BS or jig saw. Disc-sand or route the curved ends to an exact fit inside your TS opening.

If your blanks are thicker than the original insert, recesses where the ZC sits on the four tabs in the table opening, must be cut into the bottom of the blank. This is best done on Drill press with a large Forstner bit. Cut the recesses a bit deeper than needed. Then drill the blank for countersunk levelling screws. Use small expendable flathead sheet metal screws than can be thrown away with the ZC when it is beyond use.

Spend an afternoon making a dozen ZC blanks for your saw, and you should not have to make more for a long time to come! The pattern will make it all painless.

Neil Brooks
03-14-2011, 4:33 PM
My saw has fiercely-sharp anti-kickback pawls.

These tend to chew up the ZCI, over time.

My solution: go to the Discount Store, and buy a couple of the "plastic" (UHMW) cutting boards. They make *excellent* stock for ZCIs, and seem VERY easy on the machines used to mill and shape them.

And ... couldn't agree more with Chip: make several, at the same time.

Mikail Khan
03-14-2011, 9:13 PM
I used 1/2" ply for ZC and dado inserts for this saw.

I used 1/4" grub screws in tapped holes for leveling.

I used the Grizzly designed arrangement for keeping the insert in place -upsided down bolt at the back and a countersunk hole in the front for the M5 screw.

MK