PDA

View Full Version : Hock Shoulder Plane Throat

Garrett Ellis
03-14-2011, 3:42 PM
Is there any reason against making the throat on the Hock Shoulder plane kit bigger? I really like the plane so far but I spend more time clearing the throat of shavings than I do actually using the plane.

Has anyone else done this? I would hate to screw it up without knowing what I don't know....:rolleyes:

Casey Gooding
03-14-2011, 4:00 PM
Sounds like you're trying to take shavings that are too thick for the mouth. You can open the throat slightly without any major drawbacks. Be careful, though and don't go too far.

Pam Niedermayer
03-14-2011, 4:08 PM
I'd suggest making sure it's as sharp as can be.

Pam

Garrett Ellis
03-15-2011, 11:07 AM
Maybe I'm using the wrong term... But the escapement area for the shavings, above the blade. It looks like a half circle, see the plane here: http://www.hocktools.com/Kits.htm

The blade is definitely sharp... it take shavings easily. It's just that the shavings all build up in that little half circle area and jam it.

george wilson
03-15-2011, 11:32 AM
It looks like the escapement area is way too small to me.Look at the old planes. They are never that small. No wonder your shavings are jamming.

David Weaver
03-15-2011, 11:43 AM
I agree with george. The wide shoulder planes, like the LN, can get filled with stuff if you use them to clean up rabbets and take a thick shaving when you do.

I would cone one side of the thing (the side opposite of wherever you're standing) like an old side escapement plane to encourage the shavings to leave via the side, though I don't know how much the wedge on a side escapement plane encourages that and whether or not it will work without it. I can say from experience if the wedge fit isn't good against the body of the plane, it will catch shavings immediately and clog, so it's definitely influencing them some. If you want to open it straight up on both sides, I would do it a little at a time. Too much, and the plane will flex.