PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening systems

Erik Johanson
03-14-2011, 2:49 PM
I have been reading through the turners forum and most people tend to agree on a slow speed grinder with a wolverine grinding attachment with their vari-grind system for sharpening their turning tools. I have been looking at the Tormek T-7 turners kit. I need a fast reliable way to sharpen many turning tools, plane irons, and chisels often and I was curious if anyone has used this system before or if the wolverine system is better for the money, I realize the tormek system is quite pricey at about $900.00 for the turners kit system.

Tim Rinehart
03-14-2011, 3:11 PM
I think both have their place. For establishing a new grind profile, I think the slow speed grinder is a must. The Tormek produces very fine finish and takes little material away, a plus, but a well dressed slow speed grinder is pretty conservative on material removal too, IMHO.
If you decide on both...a good option is to have a setup (available from Tormek) to use the Tormek jigs at your slow-speed sharpener for rough shaping/grinding.

Tom Hartranft
03-14-2011, 3:43 PM
I went the Tormek jig option for shaping turning tools and final sharpening. Here is my set up using slow speed grinder and Tormek BGM-100 setup to adapt Tormek tools to slow speed grinder.

http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/rr183/tjh_020/Grinder%20Bench%20Jig/Image003Small.jpg

http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/rr183/tjh_020/Grinder%20Bench%20Jig/Image001Small.jpg

http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/rr183/tjh_020/Grinder%20Bench%20Jig/Image002Small.jpg

When I recently got into turning, I already had a Tormek with basic jigs that I use for plane and chisel bevel edge shaping. So I opted to get the Tormek BGM-100 kit plus a couple of new Tormek jigs to facilitate using my Tormek stuff to shape / sharpen my turning tools. One of the two horizontal bars in the above pic's is from my Tormek system. NOTE: I use waterstones for my chisel and plane blade honing; I only use the Tormek to hollow grind the primary bevel of plane blades and bench chisels to take on to my stones.

For cost comparison with the Wolverine Varigrind jig system, you might look at cost of only getting the Tormek BGM-100 and the three turning jigs for lathe tool sharpening ... that'd likely run ~$200 - $250 vice the $900 your post mentions for a full Tormek suite. Don't know what you now use to shape / sharpen your bench chisels and plane blades, but if you find you like the Tormek jigs for lathe tool sharpening, you could save up for the basic Tormek chisel and plane blade system and buy it later.

Tom

Kyle Iwamoto
03-14-2011, 4:51 PM
I have a Tormek. I like it. I don't have a slow speed, so I can't really compare. The Tormek can sharpen anything, if you have the right jig. Even sharpens the kitchen knives, to keep the wife happy. It's quiet, I can sharpen and watch TV with the rest of the family. No mess. Well, water mess, but no grit flying all over. I can turn for a long time before sharpening. I hone between sharpenings. IMO it's less trips to the grinder, so I turn and quit. Sharpen when I'm taking a break. Yes, it does take a long time to reshape a tool. Refreshing takes a few seconds. If you have chisels, there is no way to blue and ruin your chisels.

Most here do have the Wolverine.

Russell Eaton
03-14-2011, 5:31 PM
I have both. Shape with the Wolverine and sharpen with T7.

Erik Johanson
03-14-2011, 6:46 PM
Thanks guys your input is greatly appreciated. I think I am going to go with both at this point. Most of my plane irons and chisels have chips out of the edges and need to be reshaped and then resharpened, but they also need to be dialed in with the wet stone. When I start to turn I don't want to have to stop to sharpen a tool, if the T7 can save me time Sounds like the best way to go. Time to start saving for both systems. Thanks so much.

Andrew Kertesz
03-14-2011, 6:53 PM
Something to take into consideration. The Tormek jigs fit on the Jet Slow Speed wet grinder and the cost is a lot less. Comparing specs side by side there are few differences in my opinion. I have the Jet and use the Tormek jigs as do many of the people I know.

Bernie Weishapl
03-14-2011, 9:37 PM
I have the Tormek and really like it. It puts a great edge on tools especially when honed. I also have the slow speed grinder to shape tools with. I use the Tormek Jigs so they match.

Harry Robinette
03-14-2011, 10:53 PM
I have a slow speed and wolviren sys.plus the Jet wet sharpener.The wet sharpener is way to slow for me when I'm turning.I use the wet to do everything in my shop other then my turning tools,I also hand hone my turning tools with a diamond hone.I love the wet Jet it does a fantastic job on everything but just to slow on my turning tools.

Steve Kubien
03-15-2011, 2:01 PM
Well, the most recognized and accomplished turners in the world sharpen on a grinder (some slow speed, some regular old high speed) and by that I am talking about Ellsworth, Raffan, Nish, Mahoney etc etc. The only place I realistically see a Tormek fitting into a turner's arsenal is for a skew which greatly benefits from honing, and even then, only with the Tormek strop (and a diamond hone is still faster). Just my humble opinion but I think a turners money is better spent on a few faceplates, a chuck, hollowing rig, vaccum chuck, etc.

Now, in terms of flat work tools like plane irons and bench chisels... Nope, still more money than you need to spend. A Veritas MkII honing guide and a few stones and you are set. Want to use a hollow grind? Fine, slow speed grinder, Wolverine tool rest (or the Veritas one) plus a 1000 grit and an 8000 grit stone and you are done.

Sorry, I have never understood the need for the Tormek except to fulfill the needs of toolaholics. Nothing wrong with that but I can get a lot more useful tools for $900.

Bob Borzelleri
03-15-2011, 8:52 PM
Well, the most recognized and accomplished turners in the world sharpen on a grinder (some slow speed, some regular old high speed) and by that I am talking about Ellsworth, Raffan, Nish, Mahoney etc etc. The only place I realistically see a Tormek fitting into a turner's arsenal is for a skew which greatly benefits from honing, and even then, only with the Tormek strop (and a diamond hone is still faster). Just my humble opinion but I think a turners money is better spent on a few faceplates, a chuck, hollowing rig, vaccum chuck, etc.

Now, in terms of flat work tools like plane irons and bench chisels... Nope, still more money than you need to spend. A Veritas MkII honing guide and a few stones and you are set. Want to use a hollow grind? Fine, slow speed grinder, Wolverine tool rest (or the Veritas one) plus a 1000 grit and an 8000 grit stone and you are done.

Sorry, I have never understood the need for the Tormek except to fulfill the needs of toolaholics. Nothing wrong with that but I can get a lot more useful tools for $900.

Not understanding the use of a tool that other people prefer to use probably comes pretty easily to someone who doesn't use one. Apparently attributing that preference to irrational decisions comes about as easily.

Steve Kubien
03-16-2011, 12:18 PM
Bob, I get your point. Really I do. Is feeling mutual? The Tormek is the proverbial "better mouse trap" for woodturners. Yes, it will produce a finer, keener edge than a fast or slow speed grinder and eliminate the chance of drawing the temper of the tool. The second point would be important if we (as a community) were still using carbon steels as opposed to the better HHS tool steel we see in todays tools. Besides, drawing the temper would teach the turner a valuable lesson...not to be ham-fisted. A light touch gets you further than most things in turning, IMHO.

As to the Tormek providing a keener edge...to what point? At the point of contact wood is travelling over the tool at hundreds or thousands of feet second. How long does that keener edge last? A second or two?

Sorry, I can see a lot of better ways to spend $900.

Respectfully,

Kyle Iwamoto
03-16-2011, 2:14 PM
I actually use my Tormek to sharpen other tools than HSS turning tools. I'm not claiming it's the best thing since sliced bread. But I do like using it. It's a preference. As a moot argument, wood doesn't travel past a gouge at 1000 feet per second, even at 3600 RPM on a 20" bowl. That's close to the speed of sound.

Johnny England
03-16-2011, 2:50 PM
Sorry, I can see a lot of better ways to spend $900.

QFT! And I did have one at one time, sold it though when I realized how much it was worth. I got it in an estate buy.

Steve Kubien
03-16-2011, 4:18 PM
As a moot argument, wood doesn't travel past a gouge at 1000 feet per second, even at 3600 RPM on a 20" bowl. That's close to the speed of sound.

Oops, meant inches per second. Geez, I just did the math on a 15" bowl at 1000 rpms and it came to 78.5" per second (if I figured it correctly). Still, think of it this way... That would be taking a 6½ foot shaving off a board with a hand plane every second. How long would the edge on a plne iron last like that?

On an unrelated note... How are things near you Kyle? I know nothing of the geography of Hawaii so I have no idea how you were affected by the events of last week.