PDA

View Full Version : Jet JJP-12HH mystery part

Michael Titus
03-14-2011, 2:18 PM
Anyone know what this is for? It's a piece of extruded aluminum approximately 4.75" x 2" x 1" with a notch cut into one side.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/pencil.png

Steve Wurster
03-14-2011, 3:02 PM
Looks like the knife setting jig.

Chris Nolin
03-14-2011, 3:29 PM
Third time I've seen this same question on SMC. See the linked thread (it's funny you both called it a "mystery part"). BTW, congrats on what I assume is a brand new J/P!

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?150913-JJP-12-Combo...Mystery-Part

Michael Titus
03-14-2011, 8:40 PM
Thanks and thanks! Yes, brand new J/P - still getting it dialed in. Ran my first board through it last night -- much nicer than my old straight-blade jointer and straight-blade planer. I'll have to be more diligent about searching for old threads before posting new ones.

Chris Nolin
03-14-2011, 11:18 PM
No problem at all. I think that question would have been a hard one to search for if you hadn't already seen it before. I didn't mean you shouldn't have asked, just that it was easier to answer with a link to the old thread. Enjoy the new machine!

Curt Harms
03-15-2011, 8:34 AM
It's a riot that Jet includes that in helical head machines :D.

Bruce Bradford
03-15-2011, 9:41 AM
I am so glad I read this thread and directed to the other one. I thought I was the only one with the mystery piece. I got one with the JJP12-HH too. You would think they would add some words about this in the manual.

Curt Harms
03-16-2011, 9:13 AM
I am so glad I read this thread and directed to the other one. I thought I was the only one with the mystery piece. I got one with the JJP12-HH too. You would think they would add some words about this in the manual.

There is mention of what it's for in the straight blade model's manual. It does not need to be mentioned in the HH model because there's no use for it on the HH model.

John Coloccia
03-16-2011, 9:23 AM
There is mention of what it's for in the straight blade model's manual.

There is? I went nuts looking for it in mine and never found it. I eventually called Jet, and they said it could be used for setting knives but no one had even the slightest clue why the notch was there.

Don Morris
03-16-2011, 9:55 AM
It can be used to set knives, the notch is incidental to a part of a throw-away piece. Probably why it was a throw-away.