PDA

View Full Version : Mini gloat

Keith Christopher
01-24-2005, 7:18 PM
Well I managed to aquire some of my grandfathers tool clamps to be exact. about 10 of 'em. pic of some waiting to be cleaned up and a couple undergoing cleaning. Last pic is of a chess board I made in the 7th grade, that HAS to go into a project for my son.

Norman Hitt
01-25-2005, 2:06 AM
Chris, that's a worthwhile Gloat, 'cause those are some of those Old "Gooduns", and they sure wont bend or twist when you put the Squeeze on Em. Those are what we had back in the college shop in the late '50's. Looks like the Chess board held up well too.

Those Clamp pics made me remember what we paid for wood at the college shop, & I sure would like to have some of it at those prices today. If I remember correctly, 4/4 KD rough sawn....Red Oak=0.12/ bd ft, white oak = 0.13-0.14, hard maple & walnut = 0.17 - 0.18/bd ft. These prices were about 60% to 70% of what it would have cost us downtown at the hardwood store, so it was really a good deal. Try as I may, I cannot remember what we paid for cherry or Ash, but Padouk was 0.22/bd ft, and it was "Prime" stuff. ('Course I don't remember the hourly wages of those times quite as fondly), http://sawmillcreek.org/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=139396#
Smilie
:)

Jerry Crawford
01-25-2005, 3:49 AM
old clamps never die

Mike Cutler
01-25-2005, 5:21 AM
That's a pretty nice chessboard for a 12 year old, or any age ;) Those are great looking clamps also.

Keith Christopher
01-25-2005, 10:25 AM
Yep that was in 7th grade shop class. It was sitting in the attic of my grandfathers house. I saw it and was astonished. I of course pulled it out and decided I needed to make something of it. :)

Keith Christopher
01-25-2005, 10:27 AM
Chris, that's a worthwhile Gloat, 'cause those are some of those Old "Gooduns", and they sure wont bend or twist when you put the Squeeze on Em. Those are what we had back in the college shop in the late '50's. Looks like the Chess board held up well too.

Smilie
:)

Norman,

Yeah these are SO much heavier than my 6' pipe clamps ! The need some cleaning up as you can see in the pictures but I can't wait to put them to use.

Keith

Scott Parks
01-25-2005, 10:59 AM
Nice clamps. My 7th grade chess board didn't turn out as straight as yours.. :D Glad my skills have improved a bit since then..

Keith Christopher
01-25-2005, 11:54 AM
Nice clamps. My 7th grade chess board didn't turn out as straight as yours.. :D Glad my skills have improved a bit since then..
You know I remember being AMAZED when the shop teacher showed us how to make it. Gluing up different colored boards cutting then alternating them. It was like magic. I have to admit my shop teacher had talent. I also saw him making a pedestal table and the base was a glue up of boards to make a solid piece. I remember being so impressed with his work.

Jeff Sudmeier
01-25-2005, 2:24 PM
Having a great shop teacher has made many a child into woodworkers. I was not graced with such a shop teacher, but my grandpa did do some great work!

Keith Christopher
01-25-2005, 3:15 PM
Having a great shop teacher has made many a child into woodworkers. I was not graced with such a shop teacher, but my grandpa did do some great work!
Yeah it was good to see others do woodworking. My grandfather taught me as well, I learned so much, but sadly not everything I could from him.

Brian Hale
01-25-2005, 4:00 PM
Those are some hefty clamps!! You might not of noticed when you were over here but i've several that are very similar and just as old.

Nice gloat!

Brian

Keith Christopher
01-25-2005, 7:28 PM
Brian,

I didn't sorry. I was blown away by all those bridgewood tools and the awesome DVD cabinets you were making. We'll have to have another visit soon.

Keith