PDA

View Full Version : First turning project since high school - Repairs for my own school lab equipment

Erik Johanson
03-14-2011, 1:32 PM
I wanted to share my first turning with the rest of the creekers for some feedback. I realize that this first project is not really complicated and there is not much to it but thought any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I have been doing a lot of research about turning in an effort to re-teach myself how it is done to that I can incorporate some turning into my woods program, so I figured what better place to start than with something useful.

I had a wooden parallel clamp that had a missing handle so I turned one down and repaired the handle. I think it came out great. I know the handle is much larger than the other handle. When I made it I made it to fit my hand and never thought to measure the other one out, now that I see them I am thinking I might replace the other one as well so they match or have a student who wants a try at turning to do it.

Handle is hard maple scrap with a coat of seal-a-cell a coat of arm-a-seal, with a polish coat of paste wax.

bob svoboda
03-14-2011, 2:08 PM
That's a great place to start. Looks better than the original to me, especially if it fits your hand better. Thanks for sharing and good luck with your program.

Tim Thiebaut
03-14-2011, 2:23 PM
A functional project is a great one for starter projects I think. You did a good job on this, you should give the other side a shot and match them up, it should be fun for you. Hope you enjoy turning now that you are experimenting with it a little.

Darren Jamieson
03-14-2011, 7:42 PM
Keep doing little projects like that and before you know it you'll be sliding down the slippery slope with the rest of us. By the way you have one big hand:)

Erik Johanson
03-15-2011, 7:05 AM
Darren I do have a big hand but not as big as the picture would lead you to believe. The Parallel clamp is a small one and the other handle it quite small.