PDA

View Full Version : First post here

Bruce Sanders
03-14-2011, 12:52 PM
G'day from Oz, this is my first post here and like to present some of my latest pens. Some of you know me as Simomatra on other forums

First a gold Baron. The white background feathers are Silver Pheasant, the taller brown tipped ones are French Leg Partridge, the white with black is Lady Amherst and the yellow-tipped feathers are from also from the Lady Amherst.

The blank came to me from Marla in Canada in the Aussie Day pen swap on the Oz forum.

The finish is polished to 12000MM then Brasso paste and then Nanowax.

http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l369/simomatra/_MG_3247.jpg

The next is Mesquite burl in a Statesman FP, The blank came form Jerry Linton in a private swap. The finish is 20 coats of Minwax Wipe on Poly.

http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l369/simomatra/Pens/MesquiteburlFP3.jpg

And lastly a custom casting of Flamingo pearlex on a Rose Gold Australiana Elegant beauty.

http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l369/simomatra/Pens/Flamingo.jpg

Darren Jamieson
03-14-2011, 12:59 PM
Welcome aboard, three real nice looking pens.

Rick Prosser
03-14-2011, 1:08 PM
Sweet pens. I really like the Silver Pheasant

... and Welcome!

bob svoboda
03-14-2011, 1:09 PM
Welcome Bruce. Beautiful pens. Where are you? My daughter lives in Melbourne.

Chip Sutherland
03-14-2011, 1:11 PM
Welcome to a great forum. Nice pens. I'm guessing you aren't a complete newbie. 20 coats of poly? I dream about doing that but I get distracted with someone new (squirrel!) and forget how many coats I've put on. Finally, I just say.....DONE.

Tim Thiebaut
03-14-2011, 2:50 PM
Hi Bruce, welcome to the creek, those are very nice pens you have made there. I hope you enjoy your stay here!

Michael James
03-14-2011, 2:54 PM
welcome from NM, USA! NIce pens.
mj

John Keeton
03-14-2011, 5:33 PM
Bruce, welcome to the creek! I don't do pens, but I know quality when I see it!! Nicely done, and nice pics.

Roger Chandler
03-14-2011, 5:35 PM
Those are REAL nice! Welcome to the creek!

Steve Schlumpf
03-14-2011, 6:04 PM
Bruce - Welcome to the Creek! Exceptionally nice pens and also great looking photos! Looking forward to seeing more of your work real soon!

Bernie Weishapl
03-14-2011, 9:35 PM
Welcome to Creek. Those pens are beauties. Can't wait to see more.

Bruce Sanders
03-15-2011, 12:01 AM
Thank you all for the warm welcome.

A little about myself. I retired in 2007 as an electrical engineers on ships and drilling rigs, worked for Diamond Offshore Houston. I am married with three grown boys and my wife and I have retired from Brisbane Queensland to Aberglasslyn in the Hunter Valley NSW, one of Australia's best wine growing areas and beaches.

Recently i have returned to turned after a long lay off due to illness but all goes well now. I hope to show some more of my work soon.

I do know sever people that frequent this forum.

Thanks again for your welcome

Steve Schlumpf
03-15-2011, 12:06 AM
Bruce - great to get to know you a little. When you have the time you should update your Profile Info and include all the info you just shared.

Peter Hay in Aus
03-15-2011, 12:32 AM
Hi Bruce,
Great to welcome you here mate the more Penturners the better.(settle down friends just joking) You and I have a mutual friend Sam (Simomatra) our regards to Pat.
Goodonya mate love those pens.

Best regards Peter and Wilma.

Don Nicholas
03-15-2011, 1:24 AM
Bruce, Nice to see you here showing your fantistic work and photos. I know you have more and look forward to your posts.
Cheers
Don

Bill Bulloch
03-15-2011, 8:40 AM
Very nice pens. If I made one like that do you think my penmanship would improve to the level of that in the manuscripts in your background?

Bruce Sanders
03-15-2011, 5:11 PM
Thank you all once again, I have started updating my profile.

Bill I am positive your penmanship can only be improved with a quality fountain pen with a good quality nib.