PDA

View Full Version : I'm back!!!!!

Dick Wilson
03-14-2011, 12:17 PM
I am here but way more importantly I am back to completing work after the long ordeal of cleaning shop. This is a piece that I just finished. I was watching TV one evening and someone made the comment "Time Escapes Everyone". For some reason that stuck in my head and several days later the saying and the turning popped into my head. This is the first piece that the name of the piece came first and then the turning.

The hour glass is Water Oak, found from Georgia around the coast into Texas. This particular piece came from Texas. If you remember I was cussing here about blowing up a turning. On the first one I turned, the center was 186753186754too small and when I was hollowing the second half using my three wheel steady it twisted apart:mad::mad::mad:. This is a successful turning. It is one piece of wood, double hollowed to 1/4" wall thickness. It had some moisture in it and I was hoping that it would check big time. It didn't.....my luck. The stand is made of Walnut. It was really nice to get back to some flat board work. Play sand used to represent lost time.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/pencil.png

Baxter Smith
03-14-2011, 12:31 PM
Very nice Dick! The wood is great and so is the idea and execution! I have never even considered a double hollowing like this. Great work!

Jon McElwain
03-14-2011, 4:30 PM
Nice work on the double hollowing! I can see how trying to hollow the second side would put a lot of stress on the thin walls of the first side. If my experience is any indication, if you try this again using ash, especially mountain ash from the Pac. Northwest or Alaska, it will meet your expectations for major cracking. Ash was my first experience with a severely warped and cracked form.

I really like the spalted oak and the movement provided by the stand.

Roger Chandler
03-14-2011, 5:37 PM
VERY Creative!!! Nice stand!

Steve Schlumpf
03-14-2011, 6:01 PM
Very interesting turning and very well thought out! I really like the mirrored curves between the form and the stand! Very nice work!

Dan Forman
03-14-2011, 6:09 PM
Now Dick, you made a big point about telling us how clean your shop is, then the first pice you post has a heap of dust on it's base! :D

Thats a really cool piece, both in concept and execution. Great imagination.

Dan

Tim Thiebaut
03-14-2011, 6:14 PM
Now that is just way to cool! You did an awesome job on this, I love pieces like this that hang from a stand.

David E Keller
03-14-2011, 8:33 PM
That's a great idea, Dick. The form and stand match so well.

John Keeton
03-14-2011, 8:53 PM
Dick, sorry I haven't seen this one!! I love pieces that are different and inspired by a theme - and, this one is great! Love the "escaping time" with the sand and the wood is very nice.

I am curious as to the chuck setup you used to do the double hollowing.

Bill Neddow
03-14-2011, 9:07 PM
This is an unusual and very creative piece, Dick. I do not think I have ever seen a double-hollow before. Stands are very hard to make and to have them look appropriate to the piece. This one works wonderfully well.

Keith E Byrd
03-14-2011, 9:11 PM
This is very nice Dick. As Steve noted the mirrored curves are great, great wood, great work, great theme!

John Keeton
03-14-2011, 9:14 PM
Hey, Bill Neddow!!! Great to see you on the creek!!! Welcome!

Dick Wilson
03-14-2011, 9:15 PM
Dick, sorry I haven't seen this one!! I love pieces that are different and inspired by a theme - and, this one is great! Love the "escaping time" with the sand and the wood is very nice.

I am curious as to the chuck setup you used to do the double hollowing.

Turned a chuck tenon on one end on initial turning. Turned around and using a three wheel steady hollowed out one end. I left a flat collar for gluing. I turned a scrap piece with an opening tenon and a chuck tenon. Tenon just slid into hollowed opening. Scrap tenon in chuck. I CA glued tenon in opening and brought up tailstock to center everything. Set up 3 wheel steady, let the glue dry and away ya go. Hollow the other half :-))))

Bernie Weishapl
03-14-2011, 9:15 PM
Dick that is just to cool. I really like the wood and stand. Well done.

Dick Wilson
03-14-2011, 9:18 PM
Thanks for the compliments everyone, lets me know that I stumble into a good idea once in a great while:):):)