PDA

View Full Version : Red Bud HF

Richard Madden
03-14-2011, 12:04 PM
This one is 4-1/2" dia. and 10-1/2"tall to finial tip. This stuff shows some interesting grain when turned centered with the pith. I drilled out the pith and plugged it, but still got some cracks. They were filled with CA and smoothed out. Gloss WOP finish and buffed. The finial is made of holly...I think.:confused: It's been a while and I'm not sure. If it's not holly, then maybe white pear...I should start writing these things down.:o Comments and/or critique ia always welcome.

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh17/RickM1_album/019-3.jpg

Baxter Smith
03-14-2011, 12:36 PM
Very pretty grain in that wood. Great job on the finial though a brown one might have "fit" a bit better.

Mark Hubl
03-14-2011, 1:04 PM
Nice work Richard. The form and proportions are good, top and bottom are well done. I really like these finials and forms. That being said, on this one there seems to be a struggle. To me it is like two siblings vying for attention. I think the grain on the HF is a bit busy. A dye job would tone it down. Or, even if the grain was more vertical in orientation.

Priddle talked about wood in a presentation he gave. His position when working with pieces was to let beautiful busy wood be the focus, when working with plainer tighter grained woods, let form and embellishments do the talking.

Beautiful work, keep them coming. I know you have a photo cache!

Darren Jamieson
03-14-2011, 1:10 PM
I can't quite figure it but something doesn't sit right. however I love the finial and am defenatly going to have to look into how to do those.

John Keeton
03-14-2011, 5:31 PM
Richard, I have yet to do a vase form, and I may never attempt one of your spiral finials, so my comments are not worth much. I tend to agree with what Mark has mentioned - competing elements. But, I also think the finial is a bit large in proportion to the form. A different color may have helped?? The form itself is different that others I have seen you do.

Steve Schlumpf
03-14-2011, 6:13 PM
Well... I like the wavy grain lines and think they almost look like they were painted on! Great looking finial and I like how you recessed the lid and made it part of the curve instead of having it sitting on top of the form. As far as color - I like Baxter's suggestion of having it closer to the color of the grain lines. Feel it would help tie the two elements together. Size of finial vs height/width of HF.... that's always totally up to the creator and I can live with what you have made.

Nice work! You should so an article on your finials! Not many of us have ever attempted one!

Bernie Weishapl
03-14-2011, 9:34 PM
Really nice piece Richard. I do like that wood and the grain is top notch. Finial looks really great.