PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
03-14-2011, 8:22 AM
14 Mar 2011

Good Morning Everyone,
We got woke up this morning to thunderstorms passing through. The LOML said at least it wasn't an earthquake!!

No woodworking for me this weekend as it was all wedding type showers for the LOML Jr, company from out of state staying with us as well as just having a house full of people from Friday through last night. We are very thankful for family and friends that would go to the great lengths to hold a wedding shower and bring gifts for our daughter and her fiancée.

Well, that's it for me and WHEW that this weekend has now passed. What did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Craig Ryder
03-14-2011, 9:16 AM
Hi All:
I'm kind of new here. I had a great week-end. I picked up my first really nice piece of equipment (for my standards anyway- a used Unisaw) for starters. The Unifence rail needs to be extended so I started planning that and thinking about what to do. A 96" rail costs $325! I will have to ask a question or two here about the best way to proceed.

My wife was on a girls skiing trip so I had a quiet weekend and got to spend 5-6 hours with the guitar (my other hobby) and work on a nice tune by Eric Skye called the The Last Day of Summer. I'm learning it in the last days of winter but that is about par for the course.

Cheers,

David Hostetler
03-14-2011, 1:00 PM
Got very little shop time in this weekend. But I did get a little bit... Spent that cleaning up, organizing screwdrivers in drawers, that sort of thing. I did spend some time going through old magazines to see if I can find a good design for the clamshell cabinet I want to make.

Jonathan Spool
03-14-2011, 1:12 PM
Not really an accomplishment, but went to the local Lie nielsen event. Had a great time. Learned some things, and managed to come home without purchasing anything (thats an accomplishment I guess!).

David Nelson1
03-14-2011, 1:20 PM
Spring shop cleaning. Finished the Laugna sliding table saw attachment, cleaned/waxed the TS, jointer, and sharpened/installed cutters in the planer. Listened to yet another iteration of kitchen home improvements from the Lil Lady. All in all it was a good weekend for a change.

Jerome Hanby
03-14-2011, 1:34 PM
Still trying to get my shop in shape after the move. Finally got the rest of my shelving units reassembled. That let me clear a good deal of floor space. Got a second sheet of peg board mounted. Since the wall sits on top of a run of blocks that are about 3 feet high, I mounted the peg board with the long edges running left to right. That lets me really use all of the area and the 16 feet of space amounts to much more than I had in our old location. I've got a lumber rack (from a Woodsmith single plywood sheet project) constructed, so I guess my next step is to move all my lumber out of the shop, mount the rack, then move all the lumber back. Next step will be to finish my Wife's lathe stand and get her lathe mounted. maybe that will get me out of the dog house.

William Hamilton
03-14-2011, 5:19 PM
I used a router flattening jig to flatten both sides of one of two bookmatched walnut slabs I'm making a trestle dining table out of. I love watching the beauty of the grain appear, little by little.
I also headed over to my father's house to help him make sense of his cluttered garage and helped move his table saw and bandsaw near the door so next weekend I can pick them up. He's used the table saw once in ten years, and he's never used his bandsaw. Sadly, he got himself a bunch of equipment but has never gotten around to actually using it. He has a brand new drill press, still not assembled, in the box, that has been sitting in the garage for years. I cannot have that or other new tools there because he's "going to use them."
My recent love of woodworking will at least give the table saw and bandsaw a new home. They're going to need some cleaning up and possibly some parts here or there, but I'll make them work. As for the new router, router jig, router table, radial arm saw, and biscuit joiner still at dad's house... well, I can't imagine them getting any use. Sad! I've tried to get dad involved but he doesn't have much ambition to get up and do something.

Jim Becker
03-14-2011, 8:47 PM
I didn't get in the shop this weekend, but I have some projects that I'm starting to think about for the spring. Rather, in addition to my riding lesson, etc., I worked on cleaning out landscaping beds, dividing and transplanting ornamental grasses, cleaning out some older vegetation from the fish pond off the patio and...doing the first run on our tax returns.

John Sanford
03-14-2011, 9:19 PM
Knocked out 1.6666 shop projects. The first was I finally made myself a bench hook, and discovered while working in the second project that a benchook doesn't work very well with a hacksaw. The toe and heel of the hacksaw are where the blade capture/tensioning bits are, and they project below the blade, so ya can't cut all the way through something before they start digging into the bench hook. Still, 'twas useful for getting the cuts started.

The second project, which is still under way, is my long-planned drill press table. I have the table itself laminated, edged, and with the front to back T-track installed. I've still got to cut the recess for the sacrifical insert, and then sort out what I'm going to do for a fence. I hope to do a post on the DP table after I finish it.

enough of this whiling away the time on the 'Net, back to that recess!

BOB OLINGER
03-15-2011, 8:42 AM
We were out of town until Saturday night, so any workshop time was Sunday only. Never-the-less, I started putting down baseboard (we are upgrading baseboard and door casing throughout the house) and installing door casing in 3 bedrooms as the carpet installers were coming Monday. Following the bedrooms will be the dining/living room and other rooms.

Greg Hines, MD
03-15-2011, 8:46 PM
I am working on a roll around cart for my shop vac and chip separator from Shopnotes. If the rain had not started on Sunday afternoon, I would have probably finished it, but it did, so I didn't. Hopefully can finish it up this week.

Jim O'Dell
03-15-2011, 10:00 PM
My Saturday to work, 7:30-2:00. Went home and rolled the 6' tree trunk (about 20" diameter) from the middle of the yard where I felled said tree, to the concrete pad by the shop. LOML wanted it out of sight for our Irish Setter Rescue party this coming Saturday. Sunday I finished sanding the 17 Irish Setter cutouts, 120 grit on the face and edges, and 220 on the faces, then stained them. Now I need to start with the Poly. Jim.

John Sanford
03-17-2011, 3:10 AM
My Saturday to work, 7:30-2:00. Went home and rolled the 6' tree trunk (about 20" diameter) from the middle of the yard where I felled said tree, to the concrete pad by the shop. LOML wanted it out of sight for our Irish Setter Rescue party this coming Saturday. Sunday I finished sanding the 17 Irish Setter cutouts, 120 grit on the face and edges, and 220 on the faces, then stained them. Now I need to start with the Poly. Jim.

hmmmm.... maybe you should ask LOYL how she would feel if you asked her to keep any puppies out of sight as well? Seriously, you're making Irish Setter cutouts out of wood for the rescue party, and she wants the WOOD for future projects kept out of sight? Good enough to be used in support of the wayward pups, but heaven forbid such raw, workmanlike materials actually be seen!

Something ain't right there...

Rick Potter
03-17-2011, 3:29 AM
Well, in all honesty it took me till Tuesday, but I unloaded and moved my new Sears cabinet saw, put the finishing touches on my latest router table (fits across sawhorses, and easy to take somewhere), and installed the first two upper cabinets in the new kitchen.

Rick Potter

Ira Matheny
03-17-2011, 12:01 PM
Re-wiring the shop to include three new [to me] large tools. 30' ( Yes, 30 ft long belt! ) Johannsen stoke sander (ca: 1990), 24" Powermatic planer (ca: 1962) and 36" Yates-American band saw (ca: 1957).

Hope to be done today setting all of the equipment and making operatable.

Watch out, will be making sawdust by the truck load, now!

Ruhi Arslan
03-17-2011, 12:44 PM
Based on the input I received from fellow Creekers, I smartened up and rip the wide maple boards for the bench top to prepare them for face gluing. I ended up having 3 1/4" thick top in the center with 4 1/2" thick front apron (5 1/2" wide) made up from a total of 15 pieces, each 1 3/4 wide. I also, prepared 1/4" square grooves 1" from top on each board with the router table for splines to aid during gluing. I made full length 1/2" x 1/4" splines and rounded both edges on the splines. Managed to break one 1/4" straight router bit, discovered that router bit can get loose and ride up making the dados deeper than you think you are making.