PDA

View Full Version : Finial Save - Thanks John K!

Kathy Marshall
03-14-2011, 1:59 AM
My little finial mishap was posted on another thread. Basically, broke the tip off a finial that had already been glued into the lid.

So I followed the advice given by John Keeton (Thanks John! :D ) and here are the results.

Used my soft jaws to grip the lid, turned off the broken finial leaving just a stub to serve as a tenon for the new finial base.

Turned a base for the new finial and dyed with india ink. Made the underside concave and drilled a hole for the tenon so I could test for fit before turning it off. Once the profile was done, I drilled it all the way through. This way I know the hole is true for the finial tenon, it's also how I turned it off (when the bit hit the narrowest point at the top it separated cleanly).

Turned a new finial with a 1/4" tenon to go into the base, dyed with india ink.

The piece is dry fit for now (I'll do the glue-up after the finish is done this time :eek: ).
Once again, I forgot to take all the measurements. The pedestal is 4" and the finial w/base is about 3", the cup is probably about 4 1/2 - 5" or thereabouts for an overall height of approx 12".
186735 186734

One of these days I'll learn to take the chuck off the lathe so I can turn the piece upright to see if I like the form before I turn it off.
I think the finial base is a tad too tall (sides are a little too steep) and I think it would be better if the finial were a bit thinner (especially near the base) that would have made for a smaller bead element. As it is, I think the finial is a little too heavy in comparison to the pedestal. Maybe it will look better when the finish is done.

Overall I'm pretty happy with it, flaws and all. I learn a little something with each form I do, and think I do pretty good for a Noob :D

Dan Forman
03-14-2011, 4:05 AM
Great save! I don't have any experience yet with finials and bases, but will be checking back to see what others say about that.

Dan

John Keeton
03-14-2011, 7:15 AM
Kathy, I sure am glad this worked out for you!! Ideas are easy, but sometimes there is error in the mix not found until execution time. Looks like this plan came together quite well!

I think the base is a major improvement in the look. While I do agree with your assessment on the thickness of the base and the curvature of the base top, now that you recognize those features, the next one will be even better! A thinner finial base that initially carries the curve of the lid is the goal. That is why a cove coming off a finial base is usually done. It permits one to "swoop" the finial base from the rather flat lid curvature to an upward stem and provides lift to the appearance.

One of the reasons I do scaled drawings of my turnings is so that I can assure the elements of the pedestal and finial get progressively smaller. If one makes an extremely delicate pedestal, then the finial becomes increasingly difficult to do, as it needs to be even more delicate.

The learning process of woodturning, at least for me, is sometimes nearly as much fun as the turning itself! So many things to learn, with almost instant gratification.

Kathy, you should be happy with this one!! You learned a lot, you progressed, you ended up with a much improved piece, and - yes, you do pretty good for a Noob, or even for a veteran!! In the end, the broken finial was a blessing in disguise. These things happen for a reason - success or failure often hinges on whether we perceive the opportunity.

Dennis Ford
03-14-2011, 7:32 AM
This is a beautiful piece, I would say that you do more than just "pretty good for a Noob". Your thoughts on how it could be better will lead to greater things.

Tim Thiebaut
03-14-2011, 7:37 AM
Good job on the repair Kathy, I am glad it worked out well for you. We have probably all broken a finial at some point in time, I was working on a cherry finial yesterday and it snapped in half on me, mine was still on the lathe being turned though so I didnt have to go through a repair...just have to start over today. You did an excellent job on this entire piece Kathy!

Steve Schlumpf
03-14-2011, 7:47 AM
Nice work on replacing the broken finial and thanks for the series of photos showing everyone how you did it!

I will agree with your assessment of the finial elements but understand that this is an on-going process and that your next one will be even better! It is hard to see proportions while the finial is still on the lathe and a little late to do anything about it once it has been parted off! It is the same challenge we all face and about the only advice I can offer is to take your time.

Thanks for sharing!

Roland Martin
03-14-2011, 7:51 AM
That is a great looking piece, Kathy. Can't ask for a better save than that!

Baxter Smith
03-14-2011, 9:04 AM
Great job Kathy. Its amazing what can be saved and adapted with a little imagination. Agree with your assessment on form but it still looks very nice!

Bernie Weishapl
03-14-2011, 11:07 AM
Thanks for sharing Kathy. Great job and glad you were able to save it. Agree with you on the finial but it is a work in progress and they will get better as you go.

Mark Hubl
03-14-2011, 12:46 PM
Good save. Looks awfully good, most of my first finials never made it from under my lathe. A good learning experience to boot.