PDA

View Full Version : pictures of my new lathe :D

curtis rosche
03-13-2011, 11:57 PM
heres the pictures of my new lathe.
it is custom built for some local amish shop that got rid of it. i think it was ment for a spindle turning job. it has a 14 inch capacity and i think its about six feet long, havent measured it yet.

Brian McInturff
03-14-2011, 12:09 AM
Curtis,
I see some real possibilities there. Build you a sand box and attach it to the legs and that'll take care of any stability issues. The banjo looks a little on the weak side but that's something you can upgrade later on. I bet you are excited to get a motor and fire that baby up!! Congrats and good luck!

curtis rosche
03-14-2011, 12:15 AM
the lathe already weighs about 300lbs. its very solid. the sandbox is an option though. the banjo is 3/8 steel but the post on the toolrest is very small. i cant wait to get a motor on this thing. hopefully a 2hp motor

Fred Perreault
03-14-2011, 6:21 AM
Curtis, it looks very serviceable.... although at first blush it has the appearence of a contraption :) :) The new motor might want to be sized in relation to the work you believe it can do. Some kind of stretchers joining the 2 leg sets might offer more stability when turning out of balance blanks. Though it may not be the case, the lathe appears "flexible" in construction. Good luck, I'll bet that you can make it all happen, and the price of admission is low.... so far :)

Dennis Ford
03-14-2011, 7:16 AM
The bearings and spindle look very sturdy, that is the most important part of a lathe. I am sure that you will be able to do a lot with this machine. I am also sure that you will push it to its limits, please be careful about finding those limits.

John Keeton
03-14-2011, 7:19 AM
Curtis, congrats on the new lathe! Looks like a lot of fun in the making, here. Looks like some grease fittings on the bearings - you may want to assure those are well maintained before going further, and check the alignment of everything. I am betting this will make a nice lathe with some love and care!

Steve Schlumpf
03-14-2011, 7:27 AM
Looks like an interesting project! Have fun with it but please remember to be safe when doing so!

Baxter Smith
03-14-2011, 8:57 AM
Congrats on the lathe! Have fun getting it up and running!

bob svoboda
03-14-2011, 9:03 AM
Congratulations Curtis. Enjoy and be safe!

Nate Davey
03-14-2011, 9:34 AM
Congrats on a nice lathe Curtis but wheres the shavings :)

Bernie Weishapl
03-14-2011, 11:00 AM
Congrats Curtis. Look like a fun project ahead for you.

Dick Strauss
03-14-2011, 12:01 PM
Curtis,
It looks like patience paid off for you!

Mark Hubl
03-14-2011, 12:48 PM
Good find. Looks like it will be fun to rehab and get turning!

curtis rosche
03-14-2011, 3:20 PM
this should be a very fun project as a scrape together money to build it up. the first thing is a motor. the next it either a face plate and chuck or an adapter so it fits the ones i already have, hopefully i can find or make an adapter. then its on to the vacuum chuck. maybe a steady rest. i can wait to make it run and try it out. as far as i was able to check the centers line up to about 1/32 off. the bed is straight and doesnt bend even if you try. the bearings are tight and self aligning.

Harry Robinette
03-14-2011, 11:56 PM
Curtis
I think after the motor you need to address the tool rest and banjo,I really don't think they were meant to do face plate work.The diameter of spindle work usually isn't that big as to have allot of pressure put on the rest and banjo.I'm afraid you might get a catch and possible hurt yourself .I've see mini lathe rest and banjo's brake and they look allot more sturdier then that one.

curtis rosche
03-15-2011, 12:40 PM
ok. i will look into the toolrest. maybe i can machine one at school