PDA

View Full Version : Wood Gloat

Bernie Weishapl
03-13-2011, 10:53 PM
Well last night we were on our way to church and when driving down the street I noticed a friend of mine was trimming a big maple tree. Anyway he happen to be in church so asked him if I could have a piece or two and he said you can have the whole limb. So this morning with chainsaw in hand I went and cut up the limb he had cut off that was over the house. It was 14" on one end and 12" on the other. He said it was a silver maple but had light colored red streaks running thru it. Anyway there was some soft stuff which I didn't keep but looks like it will yeild a two 14" bowls, three 13" bowls and one 12" bowl. I also have 3 pieces that are going to be HF's. He told me if the tree doesn't make it that either later this summer or next spring it would be coming down. He said I could have as much as I want. The trunk is almost 4' across with some burl on the roots. Ought to be some nice stuff.

John W Dixon
03-13-2011, 10:59 PM
See good things do happen when you go to church! Nice haul Bernie.

Michael James
03-13-2011, 11:01 PM
Nice haul Bernie! Now that's what I call fellowship, fer sure.

Mark Hubl
03-13-2011, 11:05 PM
Nice haul Bernie. Maybe it will get a little spalt.

Richard Madden
03-13-2011, 11:13 PM
Nice haul, Bernie. Now, tell the truth...are you hoping the rest of the tree doesn't make it???

Dan Forman
03-14-2011, 4:24 AM
Nice score, has some interesting color to it.

Dan

John Keeton
03-14-2011, 7:33 AM
Nice pile of wood, Bernie! Looks like some of it had some curl in it, too. Bet the rest of the tree has some really nice wood. I don't wish your neighbor bad fortune, but if it comes down, you will be in wood heaven!

I had a similar experience on the way home the other day and scored some chunks of spalted, ambrosia silver maple with some curl in it and a nice chunk of mimosa. The ears are becoming attuned to the distant sound of a chainsaw!

Steve Schlumpf
03-14-2011, 7:37 AM
Bernie - congrats on all the great looking wood! Should keep you busy for a while! Have fun with it!

Baxter Smith
03-14-2011, 8:59 AM
Good haul Bernie. Hope you rough something out and post it. I would be interested in seeing how those streaks play out in a turning.

bob svoboda
03-14-2011, 9:01 AM
Nice gloat! So.....you say this is a friend, was cutting a Maple tree, and hadn't called you?.....:D

Bernie Weishapl
03-14-2011, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the comments. I am going to go out today if nothing comes up and rough a couple of them out. I am kind of anxious to see what is inside.

Bob S. his wife came out and told him, "I told you to call Bernie." I gave her a nice bowl about a year ago from another maple log. I asked her if she would like another and she said I would love one. She said she uses the other one all the time especially when guests come over. She said it also makes a great popcorn bowl for long movies. It was 13" X 5".

Jon McElwain
03-14-2011, 4:35 PM
Nice haul there! I have only really examined one or two pieces of silver maple, but this stuff looks a little darker than what I have seen. The red streaks are going to look REALLY nice in the side of a bowl!

Harry Robinette
03-14-2011, 11:38 PM
Oh boy that means more turning,nice pick up on the tree trimming while driving.Who said our eyes get worse after we retire.Or is you vehicle one of those like mine,it automatically heads for the sound of the running chain saw.
Really, nice bunch of wood.

Bernie Weishapl
03-15-2011, 11:18 AM
Thanks again. Harry I don't know what it is but when you walk outside and here a chainsaw buzzing I have to get in the pickup and drive. I have a couple of pieces turned to completion as they did seem pretty dry. Will go out and see how they fared. I soaked them with Antique Oil so hopefully they will be ok.

charlie knighton
03-15-2011, 3:52 PM
nice wood Bernie

Bruce Sanders
03-15-2011, 7:07 PM
Nice one Bernie, i like the pink colour in it as well

Brodie Brickey
03-15-2011, 7:21 PM
Bernie,

Nice score!

Joshua Dinerstein
03-16-2011, 1:40 PM
Wow, that is a great haul Bernie! I have kept my eyes peeled but so far no such luck here in Utah. But I keep hoping!

Can't wait to see what you make out of it!

Joshua

Roland Martin
03-16-2011, 8:37 PM
Nice find, Bernie. Can't wait to see what kind of character there is in there. One sure thing, it got put in the right hands!

Bernie Weishapl
03-16-2011, 10:31 PM
Thanks again. I have two that I turned start to finish and have them with finish on them drying. There were a lot of bug holes in them but I think they will be fine. They have warped slightly and were fairly dry anyway so thought why not. Turn them to finish and let it happen. Not to bad so far.