PDA

View Full Version : WIP - Southwest Inspiration

Mark Hubl
03-13-2011, 10:12 PM
Well, I finally pulled myself away from the computer and couch for a couple of hours today. I cut into a piece of butternut thinking I would make some sort of bowl. I really like the couple John K posted recently, a very pleasing shape. But alas, my mind began to wonder. I started thinking about our annual pilgrimage to Scottsdale, AZ which is in a little over a week. Ah, sun, fun, friends, baseball and all things southwest.

Well, that got me thinking about Steve's pieces and low and behold the shape just started to change. It felt right. So now I have some focus.

The piece will be a gift to the good friends who host our visit, perfect. So I thought I would share it's early progress. Thanks to Steve for being my muse on this one.

Bernie Weishapl
03-13-2011, 10:27 PM
Mark that has a nice form and th wood is really nice. Can't wait to see it finished.

Jim Burr
03-13-2011, 11:29 PM
Really cool form Mark...very full shape to the opening. I like this one!!

Dan Forman
03-14-2011, 4:18 AM
Sweet!! I think they will love it. Have fun down there.

Dan

John Keeton
03-14-2011, 7:26 AM
Mark, I sure am glad your mind wandered!! This is a very, very nice form, and the grain orientation of the wood adds so much to the overall appearance. Very well done!!! I love butternut, anyway, and you have surely done this one justice. What are you going to do for a color/finish? It will look great with just some BLO and go from there, but a little dye application might be neat, too. Kind of stuck with earth tones, I guess, because of the inherent color of the butternut.

Surprise us!!

Steve Schlumpf
03-14-2011, 7:30 AM
Mark - that is going to be nice! Great form and that wood is going to come to life with a little finish! Looking forward to seeing this once completed! Nice work!

Mark Hubl
03-14-2011, 4:38 PM
Thanks all for takin a look.

Finished the hollowing, sanded the inside, sanded the outside, flipped it around and finished the foot. That last step is still always a little dicey. Off the lathe and a little bath of MS. Oh yeah, needs some more sanding here and there.

Now off to the bench for some embellishment work. I am thinking a little east meets southwest.

What are you going to do for a color/finish? It will look great with just some BLO and go from there, but a little dye application might be neat, too.

John, you are on mark. I think a little BLO to warm it and then some AO. Although some dye might look good, I am certainly not the master of that. I have a lot of tannin on the hands from this, I bet it would take a good vinegar and steel wool stain.

bob svoboda
03-14-2011, 4:43 PM
That is really looking good, Mark. Nice work!

neil mackay
03-14-2011, 5:28 PM
Excellent work.

Mark Hubl
03-14-2011, 6:36 PM
Well, the moment of truth. Layout some lines and ask your self, "Do I really want to cut into this nicely sanded form?".

Couple of passes with the chisel, no turning back. Then a little power carving with some burrs.

Well that is all for today. I have got to go to my meeting, you know the one..."Hello my name is Mark, and I am a turnaholic."

Darren Jamieson
03-14-2011, 7:29 PM
Mark this one looks like it is going to be a winner. nice grain in this one. I have never worked with butternut but I think even natural it is a nice butterscotch color isn't it? By the way is there really a class for my addiction?

Curt Fuller
03-14-2011, 9:15 PM
Well, the moment of truth. Layout some lines and ask your self, "Do I really want to cut into this nicely sanded form?".

Couple of passes with the chisel, no turning back. Then a little power carving with some burrs.

Well that is all for today. I have got to go to my meeting, you know the one..."Hello my name is Mark, and I am a turnaholic."

Mark, thanks so much for the step by step process pictures. I see these carved forms and wonder how they "get started". Looking forward to watching the progression. It's going to be a beauty.

Mark Hubl
03-16-2011, 5:11 PM
Some more cutting and sanding. A coat of MS to see how it is coming along. Not good, the lines into the neck are not right.

A little more sculpting to change the line and then some sanding. Pretty much done. I was going to do the neck a little different, but I am letting it be.

Will need some final sanding and finish.

Thanks for lookin.

David DeCristoforo
03-16-2011, 5:21 PM
I love the way the grain flows around this piece! The sloping top was just the ticket to accentuate it. Not sure I would have had the cojones to start carving on it!

Michael James
03-16-2011, 6:31 PM
Mark you need to be careful, I think that's the place that says "the only requirement for membership is a desire to stop turning" :eek:

Good luck on your carving adventure!

Cathy Schaewe
03-16-2011, 9:03 PM
I really like this one. Before you started carving it, it reminded me of a hershey's kiss. (I'm sure that's not because I'm on a diet.)

Bob Bergstrom
03-16-2011, 9:22 PM
I've been missing this one. Great job. The grain is set perfect on the opening. Carving just adds to the whole piece.