PDA

View Full Version : Hollow Turning set up for deep turnings

Norbert Ploetz
03-13-2011, 8:58 PM
Question to fellow turners.What deep hollowing set up, do you use?Pros and cons.What do like best about yours.Laser really needed all the time.Thanks N Ploetz

Thomas Canfield
03-13-2011, 9:11 PM
I started out with the Don Pencil Scorpion and Stinger armrest hollowing tools. I just recently had a elbow type holder made for the Pencil hollowing bars, and a laser holder was provided on the elbow. I can use the 3/4" bar and have hollowed down to 12" and it does not beat out my elbow. I use both the 3/16" HS Steel rod and 1/4" square HS Steel, and then the scraper to get a finish cut. The 12" hollowing was done in a section of Bradford Pear tree trunk with 3 branches and a steady rest with steady ring used for support to get down to about 1/4" thickness, and I think the diameter is about 10" or so. It is drying now for final finish. I am considering also getting a captured type similar to the Jamison, but heavier for some deeper hollowing. I used the laser (laser pointer) only after getting somewhat close since the vibration is a big factor and my system is not the best yet - still in development, but it is a big help.

Jon McElwain
03-13-2011, 10:29 PM
I asked a similar question a while back. I got a limited response, but here is the link (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?160082-Hollowing-systems-Articulated-vs.-Captured-vs.-Handheld&highlight=). There was some good info shared there.

I use a Oneway captured system. It has good flexibility, a laser, it is adaptable to various other hollowing tool tips, and with the heavy boring bar can go much deeper than an articulated system. That said, the Monster system is probably the most popular here.

Bernie Weishapl
03-13-2011, 10:32 PM
I have both the Monster articulating system and the captured system. Both are extremely well made and easy to use. Both have there places as the captured system will do a deeper HF.