PDA

View Full Version : Robot Arm

Dave West
03-13-2011, 8:47 PM
I spent the last few weekends on and off designing and building this robot arm. It's cut from 1/8 inch tempered hardboard (great stuff) and hobby servos. Alot of measuring and redos later and it's almost finished. The wiring still has to be cleaned up and the base needs a re-design but it works.

A netbook runs a servo sequencing program and commands a servo controller. Right now it just plays back recorded moves, but with the addition of a camera and imaging software it will be able to recognize, track and manipulate objects within it's reach.
Here's a video of it in action. Just the thing for moving tape from one place to another:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTttgWxoItw

Dave

Larry Robinson
03-13-2011, 9:05 PM
Dave,

That is sooooooo cool. Keep us posted.

Larry

Robert Walters
03-13-2011, 10:07 PM
Let me know when you get it to load/unload the laser and watch for fires =)

Richard Rumancik
03-13-2011, 11:41 PM
Dave, that's really a neat project. Are you going to make the plans available in any way? How much would the motors and required electronics cost?

paul mott
03-14-2011, 3:46 AM
Excellent project.

Paul.

Dave West
03-14-2011, 11:47 AM
Once the design is the way I want I may post the files. The total cost for servos and controller was about $140.00 - $150.00. Hardboard was less than $5 for a 2X4 sheet. For the next version I may just buy metal servo brackets for most of the arm. They come with bearings and they're alot lighter too.

AL Ursich
03-14-2011, 3:40 PM
When I worked at the San Diego Sony CRT Plant in the mid 90's we had a few Fanuc Robots to pick and place CRT's. In my area we had 2 Fanuc Welding Robots that just dipped a 4 inch paint roller in to a rolling metal drum of liquid carbon. It then painted 3 sides of a CRT to make the CRT a Capacitor with the inside carbon.

This Robot would have done the job of the multi Thousand dollar robot... Well Done !!!!!

AL

Bill Cunningham
03-15-2011, 8:37 PM
Oooo Be careful.. Did you see that episode of The Big Bang Theory where Wolowitz built a robot arm?:D

Russell Ludwick
03-15-2011, 10:10 PM
that thing is totally awesome. I always wished I had my own robot arm. Can you elaborate more on the software used to control the Servo's?

Dave West
03-16-2011, 12:42 PM
that thing is totally awesome. I always wished I had my own robot arm. Can you elaborate more on the software used to control the Servo's?

The sequencing software came with the servo controller. It's a Pololu Mini-Maestro Servo Controller available from Pololu dot com.

Dave