PDA

View Full Version : Burl Harvesting 2?

Brian Thompson, Oklahoma
03-13-2011, 7:22 PM
Hello, I am a new member and have already posted this question in general woodworking forum, so I hope that I am not doing this wrong. Not too familiar with these types of forums, sorry. Anyhow, that said, I live in Oklahoma and have three oak trees that have huge burls on their lower parts near the trunks. I am wanting to process these but have no idea as how to do it without destroying them. So, anyone got any ideas as to how I can harvest them, when I should and any thing else I might need to know?

Anyone here in Oklahoma? I live in Locust Grove, about an hour East of Tulsa.

Thanks in advance!

David Reed
03-13-2011, 8:14 PM
Brian
Welcome to the group. You will find a wealth of knowledge among the members and a generous willingness to help whenever they can.
Send some pics of the burls in question. Do you wish to remove the tree or spare the tree?

Brian Thompson, Oklahoma
03-14-2011, 12:31 AM
Thanks for the welcome! The trees can go. I have 30 acres of them and I can always use the extra lumber. I prefer the walnut, but use mostly oak for my other furniture. I make walnut rocking chairs as a hobby. I also do the occasional armoire, jewelry armoire's and whatever else my wife thinks she needs <G>. I'll go out tomorrow and get some pics. Then I'll have to figure out how to post them. I run a flint knapping forum on Yahoo. Over there we just post and everyone gets it. I am still adjusting to this type of forum. So please bear with me.