PDA

View Full Version : DNA stabilization

David Reed
03-13-2011, 6:18 PM
I have some rather large pieces of BLM burl which are several years old and well seasoned. They have been stored in my barn which is dry but still rather humid. When dealing with not so large chunks, I have had no trouble with cracking. Larger pieces will crack when introduced into a dryer environment (aka heated living space). Any suggestions how to stabilize this wood as to minimize cracking and checking as it further dries and reaches equilibrium in larger sections? I have not used DNA soaking but if I understand correctly, this is to drive water from the cells to allow for a different drying rate. Would DNA soaks help to limit changing shape and opening up crack in large pieces? Any other thoughts?
Thanks
David

Gary Max
03-13-2011, 6:39 PM
How about this, after you turn the BLM leave it out in the barn for a week before you bring it in. This will let it dry slower than taking it into the house. Moving wood to a different environment can be very stressful on wood, even if it is dry.

David Reed
03-13-2011, 6:48 PM
Gary:
Thanks for the reply, but this is actually a rather thinly veiled information grab for a flat project (hush hush). I have a slab of BLM burl with some voids and inclusion seven feet long, 16 inches wide and 2.5 inches thick. I have this scheduled to become a table behind our sofa. In defense of the non spinning portion of this project, I will likely turn legs for it when I get to that point, so technically I still am producing a turning project in keeping with the intent of this group.

David Reed
03-13-2011, 7:14 PM
Here are a couple of marginal pics of the non turning portion of this project.