PDA

View Full Version : How would you suggest cutting this.

Ted Evans
03-13-2011, 4:24 PM
Hello all,

Would you share your expertise and offer some suggestions as to the best way to cut this burl? I have no experience with burls, therefore, do not have a clue as how to start. It is Cherry, approximately 12" in diameter and about 10" thick. Vase, bowl, dish, HF, box or what have you. Assuming that it is solid and usable, should it be left to dry somewhat or turn green, it was recently cut. Thanks for any suggestions that you may have. Ted

Matt Newton
03-13-2011, 4:30 PM
I would cut it in half right through the pith. Cherry burls like that one tend to have a lot of bark inclusions. By cutting it, you could see if is solid and by removing the pith reduce possible cracking. All that said, cherry burls are like a box of chocolates......

Chip Sutherland
03-13-2011, 4:56 PM
I agree. Cut of the trunk/limb portion and then slice that goreous piece in half. Turn the pith out of it...and post it here.

Jim Burr
03-13-2011, 5:12 PM
+1 for up the gut

David E Keller
03-13-2011, 5:23 PM
I can't help you with the cutting part, but I'd definitely turn it green... Cherry likes to crack too much to take a chance on the drying. You can turn it to finished thickness or twice turn it... I'd paint the outside of the roughout with anchorseal if you go for the twice turned method. I hope it's solid and you'll post some finished shots when you're finished.

Tim Thiebaut
03-13-2011, 6:59 PM
That looks like a nice piece of wood you have there, I turned my first piece of cherry recently and loved it, turned very nice, have fun with this one.