PDA

View Full Version : No corned beef hash!!!!!!??????

keith ouellette
03-13-2011, 2:11 PM
Has anybody else noticed a shortage of canned corned beef hash in the south east? No matter what store my wife went to the shelves had no CBH. 2 different chains.

Jim Koepke
03-13-2011, 2:59 PM
Wait till after St. Paddy's. Then all the corned beef the stores don't sell ends up in cans.

:eek:

Just my guess. I haven't looked for the canned stuff. We bought a few extra hunks of corned beef because I make my own hash.

There is an old thread around here somewhere in which I explain how to do it. It is a heck of a lot better than canned any day of the week.:)

jtk

Brian Kent
03-13-2011, 3:37 PM
Next thing you know there's going to be a shortage of Spam! Noooooooooooooooo!

Michael James
03-13-2011, 4:01 PM
Well, I like to buy a couple of corned beef(s) after St Patrick's day. It's really cheap (relatively) and hickory smokes up great. Im not a big fan but enjoy taking novel dishes to potlucks! I don't eat canned hash, and have eaten enough spam for 3 lifetimes as a kid.

Belinda Barfield
03-13-2011, 5:28 PM
It's because canned corn beef hash has been deemed inedible by southern cooks, therefore it doesn't sell. What doesn't sell, doesn't get stocked.:D

keith ouellette
03-13-2011, 6:41 PM
It's because canned corn beef hash has been deemed inedible by southern cooks, therefore it doesn't sell. What doesn't sell, doesn't get stocked.:D

I used to work in a grocery store and we sold quite a bit of the stuff. The Wifey makes it every so often and I like it. Of course the whole corned beef is better .

But seriously. There is NONE to be had in this area and its been that way for about a month. Just thought that was strange.

Tim Morton
03-13-2011, 8:09 PM
there was a MAJOR recall....

http://www.walletpop.com/2011/01/27/recalls-cause-canned-corned-beef-shortage/

Joe Pelonio
03-13-2011, 8:59 PM
Some recalls never make the news, for some reason. My 92 year old mother-in-law likes a particular brand of antacids, and we suddenly couldn't find them. We asked the pharmacist and were told they had been recalled.

Jon Knauft
03-13-2011, 9:34 PM
Maybe the recall of the antacids has something to do with the recalled hash? Coincidence? I think not.

Kent A Bathurst
03-14-2011, 9:21 AM

"BOOM goes the dynamite......." :D

Same thing for that gooey-pasty-mushy-crap called "instant grits". If it doesn't take an hour to cook, it ain't grits.

Course, in these here parts, "grits" is pronounced with about 4 syllables, as in "gah-reeeee-eye-its"

Mike Wilkins
03-14-2011, 9:49 AM
That's because IHOP bought it all up. Almost every time I go there I get the corned beef hash omelet with harvest grain pancakes. Full for the remainder of the day. Good stuff.

Quinn McCarthy
03-14-2011, 9:57 AM
Make your own.

We started ours over the weekend. First time we are trying. Takes 10-14 days for the recipe we have.

Hopefully it is worth the time and effort.

Q

Rick Potter
03-15-2011, 2:45 AM
Speaking of grits, years ago, when we took our daughters to visit colleges in the east, we were in Arkadelphia Arkansas visiting Ouachita Baptist U. After the visit we had dinner at the Bonanza Buffet. In line, I asked what one tray of food was. That's hominy. OK, what's that tray? That's okra, you never seen okra? Ah, no..what's that tray? Them are grits (see above post for proper pronunciation), say, you'all ain't from around here are ya??

BTW, the girls did go to OBU, and they demanded we mail them tortilla's, seasoning, and hot sauce every so often. The only ones they could find in a store were in Little Rock, and they came in a can. The 'girls from California' made taco's for dorm mates. This was in the 80's and on the way home we saw a cafe' in Oklahoma advertising Mexican Food. We stopped and had 'enchiladas'. They were flour tortillas with a slice of american cheese inside, covered with cream of mushroom soup. ????

Rick Potter