PDA

View Full Version : tightening brace pad?

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
03-13-2011, 1:04 PM
I'm hoping "pad" is the right word - I mean bulbous handle at the end of the brace.

I've got a 10" Stanley 923, and a 6" Stanley Fray brace, (says X3 on it as well) and was using them in combo with my MF egg beater to put a fair amount of holes in some aluminum panel for a guitar electronics project I'm working on.

Using them for more controlled work over a longer period of time than I usually do, (particularly the 6", which is newish to me) I've noticed that the pads, while they aren't dangerously loose, or even work-interfering loose, are a little wobblier than I'd prefer. Is there a way to fix this? I'd assume that unscrewing the wooden part from the metal part of the pad, I'd be able to remove the wooden part and somehow access the internals or remove the assembly or something. Maybe there's some bearings that could use replacement, or something I could shim? I really don't know.

I tried removing the three screws on the pad of the 6" brace, but it the wooden part did not want to move. I didn't try very hard, however. I figure before I go trying to break anything I'd ask here, hoping to avoid doing something stupid. It's probably not bad enough to actually bother doing anything, but after looking at some other braces I realize these could be better.

Jim Koepke
03-13-2011, 1:34 PM
It seems each model brace had different means of attachment of the pad.

Often age and what ever finish has been used on the pad will cause it to stick to the flange to which it is mounted. Often after removal of the screws a sharp rap from a piece of wood will dislodge it.

I have never tried to shim the bearings on one of these, but it may be possible.

jtk

Joe Bailey
03-13-2011, 7:16 PM
Hi Joshua,

I would advise you to email George Langford, "curator" of www.georgesbasement.com.
If you're not familiar with him, take a look at his site.

jb

Paul Saffold
03-13-2011, 7:42 PM
The stanley 02-923 that I have has a plastic pad threaded onto the shaft, plus the screws through the "cup". Try turning the pad before you try prying it out.

The cup is held on with a snap ring as is the cup on this Dunlap brace. 186652

A no-name brace had a cup held on with a washer held on by by peening the shaft. It was so loose I could see that most of the ball bearings had fallen out. To repair it I had to ruin the end of the shaft to get the washer off. I replaced the bearings (True Value Hardware) then drilled and tapped the end of the shaft to secure a couple of washers to hold the cup on. Screw not quite tight to allow the cup to turn freely. A drop of Loctite keeps the screw from backing out.

So, I've got 3 braces and each is a different design. Perhaps someone will offer help with your Fray brace.
Hope this helps. Paul

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
03-14-2011, 6:41 AM
Hrm - I wonder if my 923 is different, as it has a wooden head, not a plastic one. (Or maybe I'm totally misremembering the model # of my brace...)

I guess I'll give it a look again in a couple of days; I'm not apt to try forcing anything, but with more info I feel a bit more confident now.

I'll take a look at George's site, too.

Thanks guys!