PDA

View Full Version : Ultra low prices on Windows 7 full versions. Any one heard of this company?

Jim O'Dell
03-13-2011, 10:34 AM
OK, so I'm to the point in my new computer build that I need the OS. I have settled on Win 7 Pro 64 bit. Figured for the price I would try the OEM version. It has been about 140.00 most places. Got an email for a weekend special at New Egg for 125.00 with a promo code. Figured I'd bite the bullet and order it today. Last night looking through, seeing if Amazon had changed their price any, and saw an ad on their site for a company called: softech4you.com. They sell the full retail version of the Win 7 Pro for 90.00!! Sounds great but it also raises some big RED FLAGS. I was visitor #560 when I first entered their site last night, 576 this morning.
So, finally my question...Has anyone here heard of them? I've emailed them to find out where the company is located and if they are affiliated with a local Better Business Bureau. Know of a way to be able to check them out on line? I tried resellerratings.com, but they aren't listed there. Thanks!!! Jim.

David G Baker
03-13-2011, 11:31 AM
I have been burned in the past when I tried to find supper deals on software. I would play it safe and go with New Egg ( a known company that will back up its sales). The $35.00 difference is not worth dealing with an unknown company and the problems associated with it if the deal goes sour. One great deal that I purchased off of Ebay ended up having a virus hidden in it that I couldn't get rid of. The software was an OEM version of Windows 98. Along with the software the seller included a video card so it could pass the Microsoft scrutiny of Ebay sales.

Jim O'Dell
03-13-2011, 12:32 PM
Yeah, I'm starting to back out. Hate to if it's legitimate, but.....
Oh, and the difference is more than $35.00. Their offering is the full retail version vs the OEM from New Egg. More like $110.00 difference apples to apples. OEM can't change to a new computer if you upgrade, retail can. Specifics on what constitutes a new computer is vague, but changing the Motherboard would probably qualify as a reason. Jim.

Dan Hintz
03-13-2011, 12:40 PM
You can be assured that it is not a legitimate, full-version that you can install on an empty box for $90. We have gone through this multiple times about Corel when people find a "deal". At those prices, the software needs to be tied to a piece of hardware, sold as part of an educational license, etc. There's n free lunch, and these software sellers simply do not get that big of a discount, no matter how "bulk" their order from MS is (which means they're not getting it from MS).

Bryan Morgan
03-13-2011, 1:10 PM
Oh, and the difference is more than $35.00. Their offering is the full retail version vs the OEM from New Egg. More like $110.00 difference apples to apples. OEM can't change to a new computer if you upgrade, retail can. Specifics on what constitutes a new computer is vague, but changing the Motherboard would probably qualify as a reason. Jim.

A motherboard would qualify. Actually Newegg usually shows you the parts that qualify on the same page as the OEM software. They used to sell bundles. There were various parts you could buy and some as small and simple as a particular $2 cable.

And I wouldn't count on the BBB for anything. I got some "inside info" from work and realized the BBB is just another big scam that we all believe (believed) in.

Brian Elfert
03-13-2011, 11:18 PM
Microsoft has a deal for students to get Windows 7 Pro upgrade for $65. www.ultimatesteal.com (http://www.ultimatesteal.com) It redirects to Microsoft's site so you know it is legit.

The upgrade version will work to do a new install.

David Weaver
03-13-2011, 11:25 PM
A motherboard would qualify. Actually Newegg usually shows you the parts that qualify on the same page as the OEM software. They used to sell bundles. There were various parts you could buy and some as small and simple as a particular $2 cable.

And I wouldn't count on the BBB for anything. I got some "inside info" from work and realized the BBB is just another big scam that we all believe (believed) in.

Yeah, the bbb is bunk. It exists to promote itself.

When someone like Telebrands doesn't have an F minus, you know it's crap.

There are a few legitimate retailers who refuse to pay BBB and who are given an F. Wolfgang Puck is one who comes to mind. I don't pay attention to their "positive" ratings after seeing Telebrands on their approved list.

Chuck Wintle
03-14-2011, 6:14 AM
I would stick with Newegg as they are a known company who stand behind their products. For the difference in money its just not worth it in my opinion. I recently bought an OEM edition of Windows 7 pro from newegg. No problems were encountered and since then I have added some hardware with no problems.

Russ Filtz
03-14-2011, 8:48 AM

I wouldn't worry about the OEM version and upgrading. I've been building my own PCs for decades. Every now and then I've hit the can't activate the serial number thing when upgrading. A call to Microsoft explaining it's a new MB or HD and all's fine, they give you the code to enter. Unless they've changed the rules with Vista/7? I haven't upgraded on those platforms yet.

David Weaver
03-14-2011, 9:51 AM
I have also had no trouble calling MS and getting software to activate. In one case, an unscrupulous seller re-shrink wrapped MS office pro and sold it as having never been used. I told the MS person that I bought it on ebay as a new unactivated copy and sort of expected that they'd say "looks like you lost out", but they gave me the key without any grief. They took the high road and I appreciated it.

I did buy another copy of office pro full that was sold on amazon for $170. The seller neglected to mention that it was an oem version, but I was installing it on a computer two weeks old, so I fit the definition of an OEM system (i think it was 60 days). That was a bit annoying, though, if I hadn't had a new PC, I would've been in a situation where I paid for the software but didn't have a legal license.

At the same time I bought that, there were download places selling office pro for about $75 or something, and I have heard people say that they install fine without asking for an activation code. To me that means they've been hacked and the activation stuff taken out. I'm not giving anyone money for an illegitimate copy and have never had inclination to go to the absolute cheapest price because of that.

Jim Becker
03-14-2011, 8:28 PM
I purchased the Windows 7 Professional 64-bit OEM full version from Amazon.com for $113 in January. (For use on my new iMac under Parallels) The Home Pro version was just under a hundred. (I bought the Pro version because it has better networking capability for only a few more dollars) Oh, and my activation went just fine.

Jim O'Dell
03-14-2011, 9:56 PM
Thanks all!! I ordered the Win Pro 64 bit OEM from New Egg last night. I'd love to have had the full retail version so I could change computers with it, but there will be several new versions of Windows out by the time I change out computers again. (Win 8 is already said to be about 15 or so months away from the shelves.) I mean the current one is only 12 years old!! :eek::eek: Until tonight I've had very little trouble out of it. It took me abut 2 hours, a different power supply, and taking the case outside to blow out with the compressor to get on long enough to read my emails and go throught SMC. (Still not finished here.) Hopefully it will hold together long enough to be able to download my files into the new computer. Jim.

Chuck Wintle
03-15-2011, 7:33 AM
Thanks all!! I ordered the Win Pro 64 bit OEM from New Egg last night. I'd love to have had the full retail version so I could change computers with it, but there will be several new versions of Windows out by the time I change out computers again. Jim.

i don't think that will be a problem as i also have the oem version and have changed a few parts since installing the OS.