PDA

View Full Version : The Rose

John Keeton
03-13-2011, 9:00 AM
This is the cherry version/rendition of the ogee form I posted in the Painted Rose yesterday. Just over 8.5" tall x 3" wide, finished with several coats of WOP. Finial and pedestal are African Blackwood.

The neck of the finial is just over .06" in diameter - probably the most delicate finial I have used, and I am more pleased with the lift and flow of this one. The overall fit and finish of this piece is much better than the Painted Rose.

I am curious as to whether the masses prefer this shorter ogee form (longer pedestal and shorter finial) to the variation used on the Painted Rose. I may have finally put this ogee thing behind me, but I would like to have some input in the event I revisit this theme at some point.

186565 186564 186562 186563

Tim Thiebaut
03-13-2011, 9:17 AM
I dont think that I could say I like either one over the other John. They are both great looking pieces of art, I love the color on the painted rose, I think it really makes it pop. This one is maybe a little more delicate in appearance then the painted one, but to me both are beautiful. Sorry I cant give you a clearer answer then that.

Fred Perreault
03-13-2011, 9:18 AM
John, it seems to have balance from bottom to top, at least IMHO

Bernie Weishapl
03-13-2011, 11:21 AM
John that is another beauty. Really nice form and the finial is really nice.

Curt Fuller
03-13-2011, 11:26 AM
John, I think "masses" would have a very difficult time deciding which way to turn if they had to choose just one of the two. There are features on both that I prefer. I like the shorter pedestal on the painted rose, but like the shape of the vessel better on the rose. And even though the coloring on the painted rose is great, I'm a greater fan of the natural wood on the rose. Both finials seem to be a perfect match for each piece. One small feature that I much prefer on the painted rose (and this could just be the photography angle) is the ledge that the lid rests on. It looks like the lid of painted rose sits deeper into the vessel allowing for a curve on the top edge while the rose is almost flat. I would think both might look better if the lid was deeper still into the vessel, allowing the inside curve to follow the outer curve a little farther. But as for a favorite, I think it would be really hard to pick one over the other. Both are just plain beautiful!

Steve Schlumpf
03-13-2011, 11:42 AM
John - I find the Rose and the Painted Rose to be two totally different animals and trying to compare one to the other seems to do an injustice to both - IMO.

Each piece is well balanced, the length of the pedestal works the length of the form and each finial is the appropriate length given the height of the piece. I am sure there are some with more experience with this style of turning that can offer you some insights as to what works best but - for me - I find I like the Painted Rose better because of the WOW factor of color and also I find the detail work on the pedestal and finial to be just a little more refined.

Again - very nice work on both pieces and very hard to compare one to the other - but consider this.... if each piece were displayed on opposite walls of a gallery, which one would grab everyone's attention? I think it would be the Painted Rose... but that is just one opinion.

Mark Hubl
03-13-2011, 1:35 PM
Well John, another nice one. I am with Curt and Steve on this, they are both lovely and different. One is kind of a champaign flute the other more for a glass of white. Both work well because your proportions are very good.

I put them side by side and if forced to pick a winner, only on form, I prefer the "Painted Rose". I like the finial shape better on the piece also. The bead is a bit crisper and I like that it is a little smaller at the base. Not an easy choice.

This will probably end up a real Red/Blue poll!

David DeCristoforo
03-13-2011, 1:44 PM
This is very nice. But it does not really get me "excited". The other one (Painted Rose) is a much more "active" piece that compels me to engage with it. The proportions are much more appealing to me, maybe because they are not so perfectly balanced. Also, while the finish does have a somewhat "blotchy" appearance, there is much more going on with it to hold my attention. This one relies much more on the perfection of the form and while the color and figure do not detract from it, they do not really add that much either. So, even though this is a much "better" piece in a technical sense, I would much rather own the other... just MMHO...

Baxter Smith
03-13-2011, 1:48 PM
Thanks Mark! Seeing them side by side would be they only way I could come close to comparing the two. Kind of apples to oranges. Both are great John but the painted rose has a sleeker look and more distinctive color but I wouldn't count the natural cherry out. Over time the natural color may equal and surpass the paint.

Michael Short
03-13-2011, 1:53 PM
John,

Very Beautiful. I like the continuous flow of the lid to the edge of the piece and well balanced. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Nate Davey
03-13-2011, 1:59 PM
Both pieces are excellent in their own way. It's interesting, reading through the posts, that the technically perfect piece seems not as favored as the "flawed" artistic one. I personally prefer "The Painted Rose" as it seems warm and lit from the inside while "The Rose" seems a little cold and austere. Regardless, I would clear off the mantel for either one.

Roger Chandler
03-13-2011, 2:06 PM
To my eye, I like the symmetry of the Rose the most. I also like natural wood to show through for most things wood related.........just my personal preference. Both turnings are well done. I like the finial and pedestal a little more on the rose as well. The shorter overall height of the Rose body allows for the pedestal and finial to shine as well, which I like.

To my eye it also seems the lid on the Rose has a little more lift which adds a dimension to it as well............the Painted Rose does stand out for its color, and it's pedestal and finial are quite good. The Rose presents the best of the ogee forms as well I think because it is not as long a form, and it allows for the curve to be a little more pronounced than the longer form.

Very nice work on both John!

Richard Madden
03-13-2011, 2:30 PM
Thanks to Mark for showing the two together...makes it a lot easier to compare. I'm the last person in the world qualified to critique here. I can rarely explain in words the "why" I like or don't like something, but in this case I agree with some of the things said by Curt. I seem to prefer a shorter pedestal as in the first one, and after reading Curt's comment about the lid maybe sitting lower on both, I see what he is saying. But then, I kind of like the vessel shape of the first one better. When you posted the painted rose, I think you said the finial was incorrect. I didn't see it then, and still don't. All I see are variations, all of which look good. I think you did an excellent job on both, and I be proud to display either one...or both.

David E Keller
03-13-2011, 5:56 PM
Thanks to Mark for the side by side photo... I apparently have short term memory loss as I was flipping back and forth between the two posts for comparison purposes.

I'll cast my vote for the painted version for a couple of reasons. I actually prefer the finial on the painted rose to this one... This one seems a bit small to me both in height and overall mass. I like the elongated 'parfait' form as well although they're both well done. I prefer the pedestal on the unpainted version, but overall, I like the painted rose a little better. They are so different that it's a bit tough to compare them, but there you have my random thoughts for what they're worth.

David Reed
03-13-2011, 6:29 PM
Very nice work on both.
I will also cast my vote with the emerging majority here for the original 'painted' version. Even though the wood grain is obscured by the dye leaving it a bit muddy, the color adds much more interest. The longer, more slender version appears to me much more elegant, although as David noted, and I agree, the height of the rose pedestal is more appealing. Having said that, the shoulders on the painted version are a sweet detail. But then, if the pedestal were taller, then the finial would need to be shorter, so in conclusion, I certainly would not change a thing about either.

James Combs
03-13-2011, 7:57 PM
Well John, another nice one. I am with Curt and Steve on this, they are both lovely and different. One is kind of a champaign flute the other more for a glass of white. Both work well because your proportions are very good.

I put them side by side and if forced to pick a winner, only on form, I prefer the "Painted Rose". I like the finial shape better on the piece also. The bead is a bit crisper and I like that it is a little smaller at the base. Not an easy choice.

This will probably end up a real Red/Blue poll!

John, I had to do the same thing as Mark Hubl and after looking at both side by side I agree with Mark for basically the same reasons. The perfect one would be if the colors of the two were reversed then the a-natural one would be a hands down winner.

John Keeton
03-13-2011, 9:08 PM
Interesting array of comments!! I appreciate each of you taking the time to compare and offer your opinions. I am drawn to the cherry piece (The Rose) simply because it appears much better in person and is technically better IMO. The color on the other did turn out well (though by chance, I am afraid!), but the slight distortion in the lid and rim, and the finial being off a tad, is enough to keep me from being totally satisfied with it.

I had intended the first one - the Painted Rose - to be the 5th piece that I needed for submission to the juried application to the KY Arts Council, but I have instead chosen the cherry piece. That application will be tendered tomorrow, but the session is not until April.

Thanks, again, for all the help and comments!!

BTW, JD, these were turned from two of the three sketches I showed at the club last meeting.

Jim Burr
03-13-2011, 11:26 PM
I have to go with Rose on this one. Visually, better to look at, and proportions are more pleasing. The finish on the original is really cool, but Rose wins. The stem and finial work are simple and straight forward...nothing to take away from the form and movement of the piece. Case closed!

Kathy Marshall
03-14-2011, 2:55 AM
I think they are both excellent pieces. The paint job on the 1st is very eye catching, but I think I prefer the Rose overall.

Russell Eaton
03-14-2011, 7:43 AM
The Rose is my favorite. I think it is due to the color. Both are beautiful, just my .02 cents.