PDA

View Full Version : Best Small Bandsaw as a 2nd

Bill Dempsey
03-13-2011, 8:10 AM
I'm in the process of moving to the two bandsaw shop, selling GO555 and moving to a 17 inch class. As I also like the idea of making Carter type bandsaw boxes, I'm thinking a 2nd saw in the 10 inch or so size for scrolling will keep sanity in the blade changing world.
Rikon appears to have 10 inch unit, Sears appears to be identical for $200. I'm interested to hear ideas on the best way to go for the small saw.... I've read lots of great stuff here on the big saw already, so I'm "confused at a higher level" on that one...

Larry Edgerton
03-13-2011, 8:47 AM
Don't know anything about your selections, but the two saw thing works for me. I have a Delta 20, and a Delta 14 for the same reasons, don't want to change blades all the time.

Maybe you could keep an eye out for an Inca three wheeler like Garrett Wade used to sell. They were small but had good quality and were very precise. I don't believe the company is still in business, but there is a large following of Inca tools as they were quality in a small package, which is rare.

Eduard Nemirovsky
03-13-2011, 9:40 AM
I just got 10-305 Rikon from CL ( brand new) as my second BS. Install Carter stabilizer and 1/8" blade. Work like a dream.
Ed.

Salvatore Buscemi
03-13-2011, 11:10 AM
Why not keep the one you have, a 14incher is a small saw.

Sal

glenn bradley
03-13-2011, 11:16 AM
I would keep the G0555 also. I prematurely sold my 12" when I bought my 17". I soon longed for a second saw and picked up a nice little 1970's Delta 10" but would swap it for a 14" in a hearbeat. The foot print is close to the same and the capacity/power difference is extreme. I'd keep the 555 for say . . . 3 months before you decide if you want a smaller one. Then you can sell it if you are comfortable with the idea and have no regrets.

Bill Dempsey
03-13-2011, 11:56 AM
Well, interesting thoughts on keeping the 555. Shop is "congested" for sure, the thought was to have the 2nd saw as a lightly used, benchtop model, put onto a wall shelf or cabinet when not is use. Maybe the question is - are the small benchtop models far inferior to the 555 type, enough so that one would really want to shoehorn in the 555?

Salvatore Buscemi
03-13-2011, 12:08 PM
Well, interesting thoughts on keeping the 555. Shop is "congested" for sure, the thought was to have the 2nd saw as a lightly used, benchtop model, put onto a wall shelf or cabinet when not is use. Maybe the question is - are the small benchtop models far inferior to the 555 type, enough so that one would really want to shoehorn in the 555?

From what I've seen, the small *new* band saws are that inferior. I have had a couple older ones (10" delta/homecraft, 12" Atlas) that weren't, but they didn't take up significantly less shop real estate to justify buying one to save space.

That being said, I would trample small children to get to a 10" Delta 768.
http://i889.photobucket.com/albums/ac100/fishman76_2010/cade8b40.jpg (from another sawmillcreek thread)
Sal

Myk Rian
03-13-2011, 1:26 PM
I would trample my Wife, Grand Mother, Aunt, Sister, Brother, you, etc.

Bill White
03-13-2011, 2:28 PM
I have an 11" Magna (Shopsmith forerunner) on a power stand. It is not a powerhouse, but with the Cool Block guides and a good blade selection, it has done a great job. Keep your eyes open for a used one.
Bill

Randy Davidson
03-14-2011, 9:23 AM
I have just done what you are planning. I had a G0555 I was going to sell but instead set it up with1/8" blade and Carter guides for bandsaw boxes. Purchased a Griz G513X2 for resawing and bigger work. Both are mobile so I can keep them out of the way.

Mike Wilkins
03-14-2011, 9:31 AM
I sold a Delta 14" bandsaw after I got my Laguna LT18, as there was not enough elbow room in the shop for both. I have since purchased the Rikon 10" benchtop machine, in which I keep a 1/8" blade for the scrolly stuff. This is surprisingly a really good machine; I may also switch to the Carter guides soon. And this machine does indeed look like the Sears model. I too would love to find a 3 wheel Inca bandsaw; these must be some fine machines, as I have never seen one in the classifieds.

Jerome Hanby
03-14-2011, 11:24 AM
I've got the Shopsmith bandsaw. Nice unit, works well. If you have no interest in a Shopsmith Mark V to run it, I don't think the power station/saw combination is likely to be cheaper than a decent used 14' saw and certainly will have just as large (or larger) foot print. But, if you have use for a Mk V, it's a great saw!

I have an 11" Magna (Shopsmith forerunner) on a power stand. It is not a powerhouse, but with the Cool Block guides and a good blade selection, it has done a great job. Keep your eyes open for a used one.
Bill

Ben Martin
03-14-2011, 11:02 PM
From what I've seen, the small *new* band saws are that inferior. I have had a couple older ones (10" delta/homecraft, 12" Atlas) that weren't, but they didn't take up significantly less shop real estate to justify buying one to save space.

http://i889.photobucket.com/albums/ac100/fishman76_2010/cade8b40.jpg (from another sawmillcreek thread)
Sal

Hey, that is mine!! Yeah, I would definitely consider the 768 the penultimate 10" bandsaw...

William Long
03-15-2011, 1:19 PM
I sold my Jet 14" to upgrade to a Rikon 18". After having that saw a couple of years I wanted a smaller one to keep a small blade on. So I purchased the Rikon 10". It's a nice pair of bandsaws. I picked up the Rikon 10" for $199, very nice saw for the price.