PDA

View Full Version : User Chisels

Harlan Barnhart
03-12-2011, 10:23 PM
I've seen posts in which someone needs direction in purchasing chisels for the first time. I thought it might be helpful to see the chisels that get used the most. I have other chisels that cost more but these are the ones I reach for. My favorite is the rough looking tang chisel in the middle. I think I prefer tangs to sockets. They are much lighter and more agile.

Zach Dillinger
03-13-2011, 10:35 AM
I think I prefer tangs to sockets. They are much lighter and more agile.

Indeed! I love my tang chisels! Don't say it too loud, otherwise prices will go up and then we won't be able to buy as many. Which maker made your favorite tang chisel?

Bruce Haugen
03-13-2011, 11:02 AM
That "rough looking tang chisel" in the middle looks pretty much like an E. A. Berg chisel. They're my favorite as well.

BTW, I don't have any chisels that aren't users. If I have them, they get used.

Jim Koepke
03-13-2011, 11:56 AM

That's the reason to have them.

I like socket chisels because it is easy to make new handles for them. Someday maybe my ability to put a handle on a tanged chisel will come around. There are a few in my accumulation and they get used.

It does go to show that one doesn't need a certain brand or style to get the job done.

jtk

John Coloccia
03-13-2011, 12:17 PM
This is one of the reasons that I'm really not particularly hot on sets. I much prefer to just buy chisels (and planes) as the need arises, and not worry too much that I may end up with mismatched chisels.

Harlan Barnhart
03-13-2011, 11:28 PM
That "rough looking tang chisel" in the middle looks pretty much like an E. A. Berg chisel. They're my favorite as well.

Zach, Bruce, that is just a hardware store "made in Germany" chisel. Edge retention is only average but it sharpens easily. Plus it just feels great in the hand.

Bruce, I wish I could say that all mine are used as well. I got in a frenzy and bought a set of vintage american made socket chisels that don't get used. This is one reason behind this thread, I don't want others to make the same mistake... Buy one each of several designs until you spring for a set.

Harlan Barnhart
03-13-2011, 11:29 PM
This is one of the reasons that I'm really not particularly hot on sets. I much prefer to just buy chisels (and planes) as the need arises, and not worry too much that I may end up with mismatched chisels.
Hear, Hear.

Ken Martin
03-15-2011, 12:10 PM
When I started working wood I bought a set of Marples Boxwood handle chisels and added a couple more. I keep them sharp and do use them on some projects. I have also accumulated a mishmash of chisels that I use as well. Some I got for the challenge of grinding off the mushrooming and making a new handle for them.

Ken

Bruce Haugen
03-15-2011, 1:31 PM
Although I do have a set of Hirsch firmers, and most of a set of Bergs, the only collection of chisels I ever really lusted after belonged to a guy from Vancouver who posted his Berg sets on WC a few years back. Berg made three lines of chisels: sockets, tangs and the Shark Lite (the red plastic handles). He had a complete, virtually unused set of each of those lines. That was impressive.