PDA

View Full Version : Help! How do I remove my PM-141 bandsaw's lower wheel?

Chris Nolin
03-12-2011, 9:51 PM
I'm starting the restoration of my Powermatic 141 bandsaw, and I have it almost completely disassembled. But, since I skipped machine shop class in high school, I have no idea how to remove the lower wheel. For the same reason, please forgive my probably incorrect terminology as I try to describe the situation:

I found and removed the set screw that seems to push into a small bar keyed into the shaft (axle? arbor? sheesh). But what on Earth do I do now?

The first picture (a little blurry) shows the lower wheel hub, with the end of the shaft, the end of the keyed-in bar, and the hole from the allen set screw. The second photo is of the pulley connected to the lower wheel on the back of the saw. Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Chris

Ken Fitzgerald
03-12-2011, 10:17 PM
Chris,

Check to make sure there wasn't a 2nd set screw in that hole. It's not unusual to put one set screw in and tighten it and then install a 2nd one on top of the 1st to prevent the 1st one from backing out due to vibration.

Then you need to get a bearing puller. Typically they can have 2 or 3 arms and a center bolt like device. The arms would go through holes in the wheel and then hook back into the center section and then you screw the bolt like device into the center shaft the wheel is mounted on. Virtually you will be pulling the wheel off by pressing on the center of the shaft the wheel is mounted on. Am I making sense here?

Go to this link and scroll down...you'll see 2-jaw and 3-jaw bearing pullers. http://www.mechanicstoolswarehouse.com/Search.aspx?k=Pullers+Bearing+Pullers

Over the years, I have tried multiple times to get by without a bearing puller. In the end, you do less collateral damage to something using a bearing puller and you don't fret as much.

Good luck!

Chris Nolin
03-13-2011, 9:44 AM
Ah ha! Good, another opportunity to buy a special tool! And there is definitely not another set screw in the hole. I can see all the way in to the key. Well, thanks so much, Ken. I'll get a gear puller today and hopefully make some more progress on the restoration this weekend. The brass bristle wheel on my bench grinder is my friend. :)

Howard Acheson
03-13-2011, 6:18 PM
>>>> Good, another opportunity to buy a special tool!

If you have a tool rental place near you, you can generally rent a bearing puller for a couple of bucks.

Carroll Courtney
03-13-2011, 7:05 PM
If you can try to drive the keyway out first.That may help w/breaking the wheel loose,if not don't take a chance of distorting the wheel.Like others stated get a bearing puller,preferably the one w/three claws.---Carroll
Once you get the wheel off then the pulley then all it is,is three bolts.There is a retainer ring on both sides that will need to be remove to get to the bearings.

matt wormmeester
03-13-2011, 9:28 PM
Make sure there is not a 2nd set screw 90 degrees to the first, I just finished a 143 that had 2 screws on top and bottom wheels.
Good luck I know some of them can be a struggle.

Chris Nolin
03-14-2011, 10:54 AM
Well, I bought a cheap (but highly effective) gear puller from HF Sunday morning and was very happy with how easily the wheel came off. When it's time to put it back on again, is it a simple matter of a deadblow hammer and maybe a chunk of wood to gently tap it back on the shaft?

BTW, I'm starting to fall in love with this bandsaw. There's something about physically touching every single part that starts to build a connection with a machine.