PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice

Don Meyer
03-12-2011, 7:07 PM
I am interested in turning some goblets with captive rings on the stem. What I need is some advice on the tools and/or systems that a novice to end grain hollowing can use on goblets 3 to 4 inchs deep.

Nate Davey
03-12-2011, 7:30 PM
I used a forsner bit and EWT finisher.

Dennis Ford
03-12-2011, 7:51 PM
Nate's system is a good one for a novice (and not bad for anyone) There are lots of tools that will work, the ones that cut the fastest and smoothest require more practice but you should not be in a hurry at this stage. Do the hollowing first and you will have less trouble with the wood flexing as you cut. If your goblet is tall, you will have to take light cuts on the hollowing. Learn to make short goblets first.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-12-2011, 7:55 PM
Don,

If you do a little searching on the internet, there was a Robert Sorby video where they turned a cherry goblet just using spindle gouge.

Curt Fuller
03-12-2011, 8:15 PM
Here's a thing I posted quite a while back. There's probably a thousand ways to improve on the technique, but it gives you the general idea. And there are a couple homemade captive ring tools in there that work for the smaller rings. The tools you can buy are good but make a much larger ring.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?41497-Quickie-Demo-on-goblets-(page-1)&p=419272#post419272

Tim Thiebaut
03-12-2011, 8:38 PM
I have seen Curt's tutorial before while reading through old threads, but thanks for reposting this, its always nice to have a reminder, and thanks for taking the time to make this Curt.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-12-2011, 9:48 PM
Great tutorial Curt! I don't remember seeing that one.

Bernie Weishapl
03-12-2011, 10:27 PM
I am like Ken and missed that one Curt. I have it saved now. Thanks for sharing.