PDA

View Full Version : Spring Arrives Finial.

Dave Schweitzer
03-12-2011, 4:42 PM
Here is a close up of the finial, you can see that it is made up of three pieces the two leaves and the stem they all have to be kept hot and then they are fused together while still hot they have to be turning all the time or they will sag not a easy thing to do. You can not let the leaves touch either. I lay out the top of the HF and start carving a little at a time the finial is set into the HF about a 1/4" it has a tenon on it also. And that is the finial story.
Dave Schweitzer

Steve Schlumpf
03-12-2011, 5:26 PM
Thanks for the explanation and the closeup photo! Very nice work!

Steve Vaughan
03-12-2011, 5:31 PM
That is very, very cool!

Roger Chandler
03-12-2011, 5:42 PM
Some people are soooooooooooo creative!!! Nice work!

John Keeton
03-12-2011, 7:59 PM
Incredibly nice work, Dave!! I can just imagine the stress level when working with those finished leaves and fusing them to the stems!! Would have loved to have been there.

Dave Schweitzer
03-12-2011, 9:18 PM
Steve, Thanks. Where is Harvey Michigan? I am going to be in Sanford Michigan around the 4th. of June for a couple of weeks,
my nephew is getting married. before I we head off to St. Paul.
Dave.

Bernie Weishapl
03-12-2011, 10:30 PM
That is just to cool. Thanks for sharing.

Harry Robinette
03-12-2011, 11:37 PM
Really nice work Me and LOML just got a nice kiln,She does stained glass and is just getting into fusing and stuff.I'm set up to start lamp work I want to incorporate
some of it into my turnings.
I'll bet that will get some eye's rolling in ST.Paul.

Dan Forman
03-13-2011, 4:37 AM
Thanks for the closeup Dave, sounds like quite an operation. By the way, love my D-Way bowl gouge!

Dan

Darren Jamieson
03-13-2011, 8:57 AM
I don't know what else to say accept just when I think I have seen it all.......POW!!! another great idea pops up.