PDA

View Full Version : Latest ADA Job - Paper Slider

Joe Pelonio
03-12-2011, 3:16 PM
The simple ADA sign and others I just finished have Wilsonart Laminate layered onto black 1/8" Acrylic. The slider took some thought, and ended up 4 layers. The laminate on top, clear non-glare next, then black ADA material with the cutout open on the right, and finally 1/16" black acrylic on the back. Either paper or cardstock fits into the slot.

Seems like the word "GYM" would have done the trick, but what the heck, more letters higher price.

Larry Bratton
03-12-2011, 4:18 PM
Dang Joe, you did a good job spelling that right :)

Frank Corker
03-12-2011, 4:39 PM
That is a great looking finish Joe, they'll be happy to pay the extra for the professional look.

Joe Pelonio
03-12-2011, 4:48 PM
Dang Joe, you did a good job spelling that right :)

Tip of the day: always use spell check

Dan Hintz
03-12-2011, 7:36 PM
Tip of the day: always use spell check
Tip of the night: don't rely on spell check to get it right ;)

Keith Outten
03-13-2011, 9:17 AM
If the Corel Draw spell check isn't reliable I am in big trouble :)

Nice job on the ADA sign Joe. Most of the ones i make are 8" tall by 6" wide and I often have to be creative to get long words on the plaque when the minimum text height is 5/8" tall. I started machining windows in my plaques and back loading them so I wouldn't have to use the slider type......students have been known to replace the slider with something that might not be appropriate :)

Dan Hintz
03-13-2011, 9:24 AM
Just a warning... it checks spelling, but use of the proper word in a sentence isn't part of its purview. For example, "Bare left" wouldn't be flagged as incorrect, as "bare" is a proper word".

Joe Pelonio
03-13-2011, 9:52 AM
Kieth, these are the opposite, 8"wide and 6" high. That one is for a room that may change use on a daily basis, so they wanted a slider. I guess there is that danger of prank, despite being a Catholic High School.

Keith Outten
03-13-2011, 6:31 PM
Joe,

I hear ya!
High School students are probably less likely to tamper with a sign than a college student, at least in our neck of the woods.
Mine are easy to change since I machine two keyhole hangers on the back of the plaque, it only taks a minute to lift the plaque off the wall and install a new insert. Either the slider signs or the window style both save a ton of money every year because they are easy to change. ADA signs have gotten very expensive over the last few years and we have to change the inserts in our window signs often so the savings mount up quick.

Larry Bratton
03-13-2011, 7:24 PM
It's pretty reliable for spelling but it ain't much on grammar :)

Joe Pelonio
03-13-2011, 7:31 PM
Joe,

I hear ya!
High School students are probably less likely to tamper with a sign than a college student, at least in our neck of the woods.
Mine are easy to change since I machine two keyhole hangers on the back of the plaque, it only taks a minute to lift the plaque off the wall and install a new insert. Either the slider signs or the window style both save a ton of money every year because they are easy to change. ADA signs have gotten very expensive over the last few years and we have to change the inserts in our window signs often so the savings mount up quick.
Most of these, including this one are actually mounted on glass, odd design with glass next to most classroom doors, so we have to mount black 1/16" ABS on the back side to hide the foam tape. Maybe I need to invent keyhole mounts for glass. Actually, velcro would work.