PDA

View Full Version : Cocktail shaker & question

Chris Hayes
03-12-2011, 11:13 AM
Hi all --

I manged to get a large quantity of Walnut over this winter. I've created a few odds and ends, but I've particularly happy with this cocktail shaker. I took it into work last week and was immediately offered serious $$ for it. Of course I parted with the piece...and can't wait to make another. (It's basically a coffee mug with a different top)

The question: Both my wife and the buyer asked if I could make martini glasses to go along with the shaker (a matched set). I know that I've seen the glass ware somewhere, but I've totally lost track of where. I thought that the store in Provo, UT had that --but it appears all they carry is everything other than martini glasses. Does anyone have a lead/know where I might be able to find the glass tops of the martini glasses?
I'd really appreciate the help on finding that source...

Thanks
Chris

David Reed
03-12-2011, 11:23 AM
Very nice and utilitarian walnut piece. I assume the steel ring includes a complete liner(?). Re the glasses, what I and many others have done is to turn the base and stem then purchase some wine (or martini) glasses, cut off the existing stem and glue into your stem.

Bernie Weishapl
03-12-2011, 11:26 AM
That is a really nice looking piece. I have did a couple like David said. Buy a martini glass and cut off the stem.

Chip Sutherland
03-12-2011, 11:39 AM
Choice Woods is carrying a line of stemless glassware. I just saw it in an email from them; however, I have not actually done business with them. Other than that, CraftSupply and/or Packard Woodworking sells them from the catalog. There is always the bargain ones from the large chain stores, if you want to practice on making a couple.

I haven't tried this but stemware turnings are on my list of things to do and this is what I plan to do/practice with a few cheap pieces of glassware by scoring and snapping off the stems. As I understand it, getting the wood/glass bond is the hard part and still keeping the glass from being lopsided. Martini glasses would be less forgiving since they are small so the lopsidedness would be more noticable than on a brandy sniffer. At least that's what my brain thinks but I've snorted a lot of wood dust in my life.

In the latest American Woodturner (AAW) magazine, p17, I saw a tip for aligning finials using a laser line level tool. Maybe flip the martini glass upside down and align the turned stem with the laser from to angles.

Personally, now I have a really good excuse to buy a laser level.:D:D. I'll tell SWMBO that I need it to make our daughters' wedding glasses. They are still in high school so I have a couple of years to figure it out by then.