PDA

View Full Version : cannot import pictures from canon camera...

Chuck Wintle
03-12-2011, 9:55 AM
When i plug in my canon SX20 into the usb and try to import pictures I get a message saying "import folder not found" All the file names seem correct and when I google the problem i don't get too much info.

John McClanahan
03-12-2011, 10:40 AM
What OS are you using? Are you using the Canon software? It may be time to format the memory card, if you haven't done so.

John

Chuck Wintle
03-12-2011, 10:54 AM
What OS are you using? Are you using the Canon software? It may be time to format the memory card, if you haven't done so.

John

the OS is winxp and the problem occurs with the canon software. I did not try to format the memory card yet.

John M Wilson
03-12-2011, 11:16 AM
WAIT!

Before you format the memory card & lose all of your pictures, there are many more things you can try!

If you have a card reader attached to any of the computers you have access to, you can try putting the memory card directly into a computer and see if the issue is with the card, or with the camera/software.

Hope this helps!

Eric DeSilva
03-12-2011, 11:23 AM
Try just canceling out/closing out of the Canon software. Most cameras connected to Win via USB will show up as drives... You can just copy the pictures by dragging/dropping from folders.

Jim McFarland
03-12-2011, 11:47 AM
Does your camera have a "communication" option? I had this on an old Canon G3 and, IIRC, set to "PTP" to use Windows utilities for photo transfer and "Normal" when using Canon's software for photo transfers. Rather than connecting camera to the PC -- I prefer CF or SD ---> to ---> USB card readers for photo transfers.

Ron Conlon
03-12-2011, 12:25 PM
I've used Canon digitals for the past ten years or so. I had nothing but problems with the Canon software so now I just import with Windows.

David Helm
03-12-2011, 12:26 PM
My camera is also a Cannon. I never installed the software for the camera. I just put the card in the card reader and import that way. Very easy and you don't have to mess with anybody's proprietary software.

Jim Rimmer
03-12-2011, 3:48 PM
I agree with the other posters to use the card reader. If you don't have one built in they are pretty cheap ($20 or so) and plug into the USB. Another option is to downlaod Picasa (free) and use it to download your pics.

Bobby Nicks
03-12-2011, 7:02 PM
I have found with my Canon cameras(EOS 40D and 7D) that the Canon software needs an interupt or something to let it know that the camera is there. After I get the camera connected and the software loaded I either power the camera off and on or hit the shutter button. This seems to let the software know something is out there and then downloading the pictures is no problem. I shoot raw format with the cameras and windows XP wouldn't download the raw format, would only download if I shot jpeg. Haven't try it since I got windows 7.

Bob

Larry Frank
03-12-2011, 9:24 PM
+1 on just using a card reader. I have not been real happy with any of the software from any of the major camera companies. I've had much less irritation just using the card reader.

Rick Markham
03-12-2011, 10:15 PM
I have found with my Canon cameras(EOS 40D and 7D) that the Canon software needs an interupt or something to let it know that the camera is there. After I get the camera connected and the software loaded I either power the camera off and on or hit the shutter button. This seems to let the software know something is out there and then downloading the pictures is no problem. I shoot raw format with the cameras and windows XP wouldn't download the raw format, would only download if I shot jpeg. Haven't try it since I got windows 7.

Bob I have a similar routine to you Bobby, With my Canon EOS T2i, I turn the camera on, then plug USB cable into the camera (which is already plugged into the already running computer) The program recognizes the camera right away. I haven't tried the on off on trick yet or the shutter button. RAW photos windows doesn't know what to do with, so I am obligated to use the canon software until I get PS CS 5

Eric DeSilva
03-13-2011, 10:09 AM
I shoot raw format with the cameras and windows XP wouldn't download the raw format, would only download if I shot jpeg. Haven't try it since I got windows 7.

If you can download a jpg, you should be able to download a raw file. Windows doesn't care. There may be some question about whether windows can display it, but that is a totally different matter.

Ruhi Arslan
03-13-2011, 10:22 AM
I never used the software comes with the camera to "import" the files neither connected the camera directly to a computer. Safest way to transfer files (photos) is to use a card reader. Card will appear as a USB drive and in case of Cannon, files will be under DCM folder. Just open that folder and drag your pictures into a folder on your hard drive. Here is a link for a universal card reader. Doesn't require a driver to be installed on you rcomputer. Plug and play.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/548842-REG/Kingston_FCR_HS219_1_19_in_1_USB_2_0_Hi_Speed.html

I've been using B&H for since days you had to pick up the phone and order in person.

Eric DeSilva
03-13-2011, 11:13 AM
Not to hijack this thread, but can one of the card reader advocates please explain to me why that method of transfer is superior to simply attaching your camera to the computer via USB and dragging and dropping the files from the virtual drive that is your camera to wherever you want the pictures to end up? The continued insertion/removal of CF or SD cards strikes me as a wear and tear issue, among other things. I've owned several Casio P&S cameras, a couple Canon P&S cameras, and four Nikon dSLRs--ranging from the D100 to the D700. I have *never* used proprietary software to move image files, nor have I ever used a card reader. Your camera *is* a card reader.

Jim McFarland
03-13-2011, 12:23 PM
Card reader method is not superior if your camera to computer communication works well.

I switched to a card reader a few years back when I had problems with the camera (Canon G2) to computer communication. Started with intermittent failures to transfer and eventually would not work at all. I use a Canon DSLR now and had similar problems. I'm sure there is a problem with the camera(s), USB cable(s), both or me but using the card reader works every time for me.

Regarding wear on the card: I have a camera dedicated to taking pen photos (~ 800 pens/stoppers with sometimes multiple retakes). I've removed/replaced the CF card several hundred times over the last couple of years and no problems yet (of course, something will probably break this week!).

Others' results may vary and I am not knocking using the camera's transfer facility if it works for them.

Ruhi Arslan
03-13-2011, 1:30 PM
I have *never* used proprietary software to move image files, nor have I ever used a card reader. Your camera *is* a card reader.
But for the ones who install the software by default, when the camera is connected software opens up to transfer images. You can still see the camera as an attached external device unless camera is not recognized as an external device. Since I never used one of those I cannot say so for sure but I am guessing that software even might start the transfer without permission. Either case, it is a mute point; use the camera as a card reader, use an external card reader or whatever works...

David Helm
03-14-2011, 10:49 AM
In terms of card wear, I think that's a non starter. I've been using the same card for 6 years (through 7 different cameras) for home inspection photos. Card goes into reader on a daily basis. Still in fine shape. To me, using the card reader is quicker and simpler.