PDA

View Full Version : USN Workbench information

Steve Trauthwein
03-12-2011, 7:53 AM
I have a workbench that is 3' by 12' that is made with maple and oak. The maple front board is a full 2" by 9" by 12'.
I had the lumber priced at our local hardwood store and he quoted me $772, if some of the larger pieces would even be available. The whole thing probably weighs 600 lbs. and I am concerned about trying to move it. It has a small tag on the face board that reads USN 96971 3-002711. I have been trying to find out information on this bench but have come up empty.

I purchased it at an auction about a mile from my home for $50. Twelve of us put it in my pickup and three of us leveraged it into my shop. That was almost 20 years ago and it hasn't moved since.

Regards, Steve

David Nelson1
03-12-2011, 8:14 AM
USN 96971 3-002711. Most likely its a navy property tag used to control inventory. I doubt that you will ever find any info since the navy/gov would advertise the requirements and take bids. Hence no Navy stock number. I might be wrong, but from what I have seen in the past it's the most likely.

david brum
03-12-2011, 9:36 AM
I've never seen one, but I'm pretty sure that most large naval ships have woodshops. One of my friends built a roll top desk on board a ship, during a deployment to Diego Garcia. For sure there are large woodshops at naval repair yards. Just think how much woodworking for ships must have taken place during WW2. Is there a naval facility close to you?